Heres one for the Chrysler mechanics

Old March 2nd 05, 01:50 AM
Bucksnort73

Default Heres one for the Chrysler mechanics

I have a 94 chrysler lebaron GTC 3.0 l auto w/overdrive(41te or a604)
tranny. The tranny screwed up started out just not shifting through
the gears and slipping. I checked the fluid and it was a little low
but the fluid was bubbly I took Tranny out bought a rebuild kit and
put new clutches, steel plates all new seals o-rings etc..., took the
fluid pump apart couldn’t see anything wrong with it.Put the tranny
back in and now tranny still dont work properly ( only has first gear.
This tranny is computer controlled, has solenoids, pressure switches.
i Hooked a Snap-on scan tool up to the interface plug and it comes
back with a code 51. I was wondering if anyone might have had this
problem or if anyone has heard of what goes wrong with these
trannsmissions
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-H...ict105605.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=491439
Old March 2nd 05, 06:52 AM
Hank

The short of it:

Pull the codes first.

Then go to:

http://www.allpar.com/

A lot of info there on these vehicles and those transmission problems.

Old March 3rd 05, 09:52 AM
Treeline

The firmware for the TCM, Transmission Control Module, should be checked to
make sure it has the latest software version: 04686606. Might want to
see if your A604 was upgraded. The upgrades started in 1995 so it's
possible that it was never upgraded, even if it were rebuilt previously.

Put in Chrysler ATF+3 fluid and a Chrysler filter? The tranny is very fussy
and will work strangely with the wrong fluid.

If you can rebuild a tranny and still have problems, that's discouraging.
But it's a fussy tranny. The TCM revision helps out with the electronically
controlled clutch and its rate of shifting, preventing the torque converter
from eating itself up with too much stress in slow shifting.

www.allpar.com is a great place to read up on this. I had lots of help
in figuring out how to go about my A604 and it was the TCM and the
firmware. After the upgrade, the tranny shifts like a BMW, knock on wood!!!

Have you tried calling the service manager at a Chrysler dealership
or an independent to find out what "51" means? If you call a place
outside a big city, sometimes you get lucky and the guy will
help you out and might even tell you what the code means.

If all this fails, the complete Superbook on the A604/41TE tranny is around
$17, not including shipping and tax, from Chrysler, and I think it
runs from 1989 to 1997, so it is also from a dealer still.

How much was the rebuild kit? I heard they were around $100?

But one mechanic I know buys his trannies from Chrysler. He says
there are too many parts and too easy to miss something in
rebuilding it, so he just purchases a rebuilt directly from Chrysler.
They were $1200, now they are up to $1800? Keep getting more
and more expensive. Much more than a rebuilding kit for $100.

Other mechanics I know purchase from rebuilders who will warrantee
the rebuild but it seems safest getting it directly from Chrysler -
or does Chrysler really use rebuilders? Anybody know?

Did you retrain the tranny computer? There is on the web how you
start and stop about 20 times to retrain the tranny's computer
after working on the tranny. Sorry if this sounds like baby talk
since you probably know all this stuff.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf90222.htm for retraining, etc.

You are referring to the transmission computer code, of course?
I can't find on the internet what a "51" would be from the transmission reading.
The engine code for a 51 [even using the switch on/off routine] would be,
but this can't be what you are referring to:

* 51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position (Bob Lincoln wrote: may be tripped by a bad MAP
sensor system causing a rich condition, and the O2 sensor trying to compensate. The O2 sensor may
still be good. The MAP assembly consists of two pieces, the valve and the vacuum transducer (round
plastic unit with cylinder on top and both electrical and vacuum connections) - If you get hot
rough idle and stalling, especially on deceleration, accompanied by flooded engine and difficulty
restarting, that can be a bad MAP sensor causing the O2 sensor to try to compensate. If you get
poor cold driveability, stumbling and bucking, and acceptable warm driving with poor gas mileage (a
drop of 10 mpg or more), that is usually the O2 sensor. [Webmaster note: MAP sensors seem to die
regularly.]

Old March 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Bucksnort73

"treeline12345" wrote:
> [...]

> tranny
> > back in and now tranny still dont work properly ( only has

> first gear.
> > This tranny is computer controlled, has solenoids, pressure

> switches.
> > i Hooked a Snap-on scan tool up to the interface plug and it

> comes
> > back with a code 51. I was wondering if anyone might have

> had this
> > problem or if anyone has heard of what goes wrong with these
> > trannsmissions
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request

> standards
> > Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-H...ict105605.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report

The rebuild kit was like $180. I have a chrysler service
manual for this car and a buddy has that (super book) they both seem
to have the same info. I have done the relearn steps that the snap-on
scan tool said to do.
Old March 4th 05, 02:04 AM

I hope that you realize that there are two "interface connectors". The
one behind the battery is for the engine. The one hidden under the dash
(89GC) is for the transmission.
My Chrysler student reference book on the 41TE transaxle electronics
says for codes 50 - 54, " When in gear, if input/output speeds do not
compare to a known gear ratio, the corresponding gear ratio diagnostic
trouble code is set (50 - 54).

eldred

Old March 4th 05, 02:55 AM
Treeline

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I hope that you realize that there are two "interface connectors". The
> one behind the battery is for the engine. The one hidden under the dash
> (89GC) is for the transmission.
> My Chrysler student reference book on the 41TE transaxle electronics
> says for codes 50 - 54, " When in gear, if input/output speeds do not
> compare to a known gear ratio, the corresponding gear ratio diagnostic
> trouble code is set (50 - 54).
>
> eldred

Assuming the poster used the tranny interface, which is likely since
he had two factory service manuals, the biggie and the Superbook on
the A604/41TE, he is getting a "51" because his tranny is put into first gear
which is the get-home-one gear Chrysler did for limping home gear?
The tranny thinks something is wrong and what means exactly
"input/output speeds" then if I may ask? I'm not a student
of cars nor a mechanic, just someone who tries to learn all he
can about the A604/41TE. Would the factory manual or
the Superbook on this tranny have something like that spelled
out completely? Now this is the time to have the factory manual
on CD and do a word search

Old March 4th 05, 08:20 PM
Jim Shulthiess

You probably ought to replace the input and output sensors.

Old March 5th 05, 02:01 AM

My interpretation of the above reference book statement:

The input shaft and the output shaft each have a speed sensor. If the
ratio between the input and output speeds does not correspond to one of
the "lockup" gear ratios, the transmission computer assumes that one of
the clutches is slipping and sets a corresponding fault code.

eldred

Old April 6th 05, 02:10 AM
Bucksnort73

"eldred301" wrote:
> My interpretation of the above reference book statement:
>
> The input shaft and the output shaft each have a speed sensor.
> If the
> ratio between the input and output speeds does not correspond
> to one of
> the "lockup" gear ratios, the transmission computer assumes
> that one of
> the clutches is slipping and sets a corresponding fault code.
>
> eldred

Alright i have changed the input and output sensors P-R-N-D-L- switch
and the solenoid pack. Tranny works good until the torque converter
locks up then when it locks up it "chatters"(feels like it does a
double take when it locks up)
Any suggestions?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-H...ict105605.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=520137
Old April 6th 05, 06:10 PM
Steve

Bucksnort73 wrote:

> "eldred301" wrote:
> > My interpretation of the above reference book statement:
> >
> > The input shaft and the output shaft each have a speed sensor.
> > If the
> > ratio between the input and output speeds does not correspond
> > to one of
> > the "lockup" gear ratios, the transmission computer assumes
> > that one of
> > the clutches is slipping and sets a corresponding fault code.
> >
> > eldred

> Alright i have changed the input and output sensors P-R-N-D-L- switch
> and the solenoid pack. Tranny works good until the torque converter
> locks up then when it locks up it "chatters"(feels like it does a
> double take when it locks up)
> Any suggestions?

Are you using ATF+III or ATF+IV? TC "chatter" or "shudder" is EXACTLY
why Dexron III is not to be used in Chrysler 4-speed automatics.

If its chattering WITH +III or +IV, then it may be a bad TC clutch, or
its possible that your make/model has a trans controller flash upgrade
available to address TCC shudder.