2005 Accord ... Should I?

Old February 2nd 05, 06:12 PM
DaveR

Default 2005 Accord ... Should I?

My lease is nearly up on my 2002 Accord. I've been leasing accords for
8 years now. But this last one had some issues ... it needed a new
transmission (and even the new one is showing some early symptoms of
trouble). The brakes also wore down at about 25K, earlier than any
other Accord I have owned (though I can't be sure it wasn't my
driving).

I've been a loyal Accord driver for many years ... any reason not to
consider the 2005 model? Has Honda finally fixed the Accord
transmission problems?
Old February 2nd 05, 06:42 PM
Dick

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:12:45 -0500, DaveR
> wrote:

>My lease is nearly up on my 2002 Accord. I've been leasing accords for
>8 years now. But this last one had some issues ... it needed a new
>transmission (and even the new one is showing some early symptoms of
>trouble). The brakes also wore down at about 25K, earlier than any
>other Accord I have owned (though I can't be sure it wasn't my
>driving).
>
>I've been a loyal Accord driver for many years ... any reason not to
>consider the 2005 model? Has Honda finally fixed the Accord
>transmission problems?

Our 2003 EX V-6 has been flawless for 30,000 miles. No, take that
back. Did have a right-rear strut replaced under warranty last year.
It started leaking. Transmission is as good or better than any car we
have ever owned, including Mercedes. Love the car.

Dick

Old February 2nd 05, 07:17 PM

DaveR wrote:
> My lease is nearly up on my 2002 Accord. I've been leasing accords

for
> 8 years now. But this last one had some issues ... it needed a new
> transmission (and even the new one is showing some early symptoms of
> trouble). The brakes also wore down at about 25K, earlier than any
> other Accord I have owned (though I can't be sure it wasn't my
> driving).
>
> I've been a loyal Accord driver for many years ... any reason not to
> consider the 2005 model? Has Honda finally fixed the Accord
> transmission problems?

The early pad wear (on the rears) is a common complaint with the
current model, but partially is determined by driver habits. On the
other hand, it's easy to fix and the dealer has to make money from
something. Just another small part of car ownership. I had an '90
Integra that made it 105,000 miles on all the original pads, though.
Nice. My gf (now wife) also had a '90 Integra, but she burned through
pads every 30,000.

They've probably got the tranny problem licked too. Reportedly the
2006 mid-model change will revise quite a bit of the exterior -- that
would dampen my interest somewhat, but if your lease is up, ya gotta do
something regardless.

JM

Old February 3rd 05, 06:19 PM
DaveR

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:42:57 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

>Our 2003 EX V-6 has been flawless for 30,000 miles. No, take that
>back. Did have a right-rear strut replaced under warranty last year.
>It started leaking. Transmission is as good or better than any car we
>have ever owned, including Mercedes. Love the car.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. I did have something replaced under warranty
on the front end, some kind of stabilizer bar that was worn and caused
a clunking noise. I was wondering if this represented a trend in lower
quality for the Accords, or if I just got unlucky with my 2002...
Old February 3rd 05, 06:45 PM
Dick

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:19:11 -0500, DaveR
> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:42:57 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
>
>>Our 2003 EX V-6 has been flawless for 30,000 miles. No, take that
>>back. Did have a right-rear strut replaced under warranty last year.
>>It started leaking. Transmission is as good or better than any car we
>>have ever owned, including Mercedes. Love the car.

>Oh yeah, that reminds me. I did have something replaced under warranty
>on the front end, some kind of stabilizer bar that was worn and caused
>a clunking noise. I was wondering if this represented a trend in lower
>quality for the Accords, or if I just got unlucky with my 2002...

I have seen no essential difference in quality between our '99, which
never went back for repair, and our '03 which went back once. Both
great cars. The '03 is just a lot "greater." :-)

Dick
Old February 3rd 05, 07:07 PM
Timothy Kong

Our '04 Accord makes a crunching sound when going over speedbumps. The
dealer says it's a leaking strut and will be replaced. The sound started
when the car was a few months old. Everything else about the car was great.
Can you trash Honda quality because of one bad part?

Tim

:>>Our 2003 EX V-6 has been flawless for 30,000 miles. No, take that
:>>back. Did have a right-rear strut replaced under warranty last year.
:>>It started leaking. Transmission is as good or better than any car we
:>>have ever owned, including Mercedes. Love the car.
:>

Old February 3rd 05, 08:32 PM
Dick

Who is trashing Honda? Certainly not me. If you actually read my
posts you will see that I love the car.

Dick

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:07:45 +0000 (UTC), Timothy Kong

Old February 4th 05, 05:28 AM
PMS

Early pad wear is a result of the TCS, turn it off and you will find that
the pads last longer and the car performs better.

oups.com...

Old February 4th 05, 05:40 PM
DaveR

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:28:31 GMT, "PMS" > wrote:

>Early pad wear is a result of the TCS, turn it off and you will find that
>the pads last longer and the car performs better.

How do you turn it off? It seems TCS comes on automatically when
needed, i.e. when the car is skidding.

I have on occasion turned it on manually when driving in slippery
conditions, but otherwise I let the car deal with it.

Old February 4th 05, 05:40 PM
Seth

"DaveR" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:28:31 GMT, "PMS" > wrote:
>
>>Early pad wear is a result of the TCS, turn it off and you will find that
>>the pads last longer and the car performs better.

> How do you turn it off? It seems TCS comes on automatically when
> needed, i.e. when the car is skidding.
>
> I have on occasion turned it on manually when driving in slippery
> conditions, but otherwise I let the car deal with it.

The TCS button turns it off.