Stock GSA - bead separation

Old December 30th 04, 03:58 PM
Dave

Default Stock GSA - bead separation

I've got an '03 TJ with the stock tires on it wrangler GSA (get stuck
always). I've come across a problem with them and am wondering if
anyone else has had problems like this.
Last winter I slid into a curb and separated the bead from the rim
on one of my tires... I did hit it kind of hard and I thought that the
angle and height of the curb was just at the right angle to pop it, I
reset the bead and went along my merry way (ether and a lighter). I
thought it was an isolated incident, I guess not...
Just this last week my rear end went and little wide in a corner
and hit a snow bank (no curb). Slow speed - not very hard - I felt the
impact but just barely. Went out the next morning and found I had a
bead leak... (FYI: not the same tire as before)
Now I'm becoming a little concerned, I can accept once.... but
now twice? Anyone else had problems like this?
Also I'll be upgrading the tires in a few months, perhaps a few
days if needed... I'm thinking of getting Wrangler AT 235 r 70's or
something close to that... I've got the same tire on my s-10 and have no
complaints... I'd like to get in the 30 to 31 inch range but not to big
(I've got the 2.4l)... also since I do a lot of snow driving I don't
want to wide a tire...
I do value the opinion of the people on this NG - so any
suggestions/opinions will be seriously considered. Thanks ahead of time
for your input ~Dave
Old December 30th 04, 06:38 PM
HarryS

If it is under warranty take it back it could just be the tire. The only
time I have ever had that happen is when the tire pressure was low (my own
fault) and I broke the bead on the trail. I have 30x9.5x15 GSA (stock) on
my 04 Sahara and have been off road many times with no issues and just
recently got back where there was some serious snow I did some off road
stuff and had no problems. There are many out there who do not like them
and there many who do they suit my present needs. Check your pressure and
tire.

HarryS

Old December 30th 04, 07:27 PM
Carl Saiyed

The price of the Goodyear AT/S is close to the price of the Goodyear MT/R.
Tirerack.com has Goodyear MT/R's (30x9.5) for $129/each. Print it out, go
into your local Goodyear, and don't shut up untill you get that price. Tell
them You would buy online, but you perfer to buy local because it keeps food
on HIS plate and it keeps HIS kids in college.

FWIW, I have a set of 30x9.5" Goodyear MT/R's on my 89 Cherokee and I LOVE
them.

Carl

Old December 30th 04, 08:30 PM
Cliff

>I've got an '03 TJ with the stock tires on it wrangler GSA (get stuck
>always). I've come across a problem with them and am wondering if
>anyone else has had problems like this.
> Last winter I slid into a curb and separated the bead from the rim
>on one of my tires... I did hit it kind of hard and I thought that the

First thing you should know.. The goodyear wrangler gsa's have to be
just about the worst tire I can think of to actually have on your jeep
when driving on snow or ice..

The best thing you can do is to replace them all...
Old December 30th 04, 08:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dave,
Used the correct tire pressure, usually on a door jam sticker:
http://www.billhughes.com/WJTirePressure.jpg and check it often:
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 31st 04, 01:34 AM
Jersey

<Matt Osborn> wrote in message >
> I've put 100,000 miles on two sets of Wrangler GSA tires; no problems.

Offroad or On? I just had a blowout on one, granted there was some crap in the
road that caused the tire to go boom but as I was doing a search for tires on the
net I found for the most part that customer satisfaction on the GS/A's was low.
I've had them on my TJ for a year & they seem fine on the road but at the price
they want for them I will upgrade to a bigger & better tire when the tread gets thin.

L8r - George

Old January 4th 05, 05:12 PM
Mike Romain

Yup, really common with any tire. Curbs, snow, sand banks, etc. will
all remove ties from rims when approached sideways! It will also
destroy rims and bend axles extremely easy.

My wife blew off a two or three day old BFG AT tire on her Cherokee
climbing a sand pit wall when she tagged the edge on the way up.

When she asked about 'road hazard' warranty, they just about laughed her
out of the place after looking at all the mud on the Jeep....

Steve Seppala from this group also lightly tagged a curb with the rear
wheel like you. He ended up with a bent rear axle out of it as well as
a rim leak.

The trick is to learn how to 'avoid' them curbs and banks.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's