1800 '74 Camper Engine - I'd like to know........

Old June 6th 05, 03:07 PM
Bill Payer

Default 1800 '74 Camper Engine - I'd like to know........

.......can I use straight unleaded fuel in the twin carb type 4 1800 Bus or
do I need to use an aditive?
Also, I've been told that the 1800 block is one of the strongest and the one
which is used in VW racing, is this true?

Thanks, Ash.

Old June 6th 05, 04:27 PM
Jan Andersson

Bill Payer wrote:

> ......can I use straight unleaded fuel in the twin carb type 4 1800 Bus or
> do I need to use an aditive?
> Also, I've been told that the 1800 block is one of the strongest and the one
> which is used in VW racing, is this true?
>
> Thanks, Ash.

They all are used in VW racing, some just hold up better than others
The type 4 engines are considerably tougher, yes. (1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 )
They don't wear and flex nearly as much.

Jan
Old June 6th 05, 10:07 PM
Wolfgang

It's strongest VW Air Cooled engine made --- but you are pushing a heavy box
down the road so it works hard. Plus since less TIV engines were made -
parts are much more costly than the more pospular T1 engine. Both are used
in racing - probably more T1 than the later engines. Keep oil changed and
don't over heat it.

.uk...

Old June 7th 05, 12:34 AM
P.J. Berg

Bill Payer wrote:
> ......can I use straight unleaded fuel in the twin carb type 4 1800 Bus or
> do I need to use an aditive?
> Also, I've been told that the 1800 block is one of the strongest and the one
> which is used in VW racing, is this true?
>
> Thanks, Ash.

Unleaded is fine with any VW aircooled engine manufactured after -66 or
-67, I forget what's right..

J.
Old June 7th 05, 09:13 AM
tricky

I thought it was 68 but anyway, TIV were after that, so it should be
fine. I use unleaded in mine without aditives.
I havent heared anything 'good' about aditives, but if you do decide to
use one, stick to ONE brand. Dont mix/swap from one to another.

Rich