Dreaded P0442, P0455 on '02 TJ Sport

Old May 24th 05, 02:41 AM
JELo

Default Dreaded P0442, P0455 on '02 TJ Sport

Okay, so warranty expired a few months back
and now I start getting the dreaded P0442 and
P0455 MIL errors (small and large leaks in the
evap emissions system). I have reset the
computer several times and they keep coming
back - no other errors though.

So I want to start by replacing the gas cap as
some have suggested elsewhere. Local dealership
(the only one for 150 miles in any direction) wants
$20 and they would have to order it! Is there
anywhere online I can get a factory gas cap for
a reasonable price?

What other things should I be checking related
to these codes?

Any ideas greatly appreciated . . . JELo

Old May 24th 05, 03:09 AM
Howard

Have you checked to see what the emission control warranty covers? I
think that warranty is longer than the vehicle warranty. You may still
be covered for this system.

Old May 24th 05, 01:16 PM
Wry-mouth

When I had those same codes last Fall, I traced all the evap lines from
the tank to the canister and found a short piece of hose had split
right at the purge solenoid. Replacing it cleared my codes shortly
after for only $2.

--
K.Campbell
'01 TJ

Old May 24th 05, 03:22 PM
JELo

> Have you checked to see what the emission control warranty covers? I
> think that warranty is longer than the vehicle warranty. You may still
> be covered for this system.

Good question, hadn't thought of that.
I have heard there are differences, I'll
have to see what I can find. Thanks, JELo

Old May 24th 05, 05:33 PM
Troy

I had this problem, I found that a plastic connector leading up to my intake
manifold from the valve cover was cracked and pulling air... covered it with
some duct tape (i know, redneck) and stopped the leak/error codes from
popping up. Now if I can only find out what to call it so I can get a new
one from the dealership...

Troy

Old May 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Mike Romain

Here is a parts list for the CCV system:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...ltr/blowby.htm

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 24th 05, 07:26 PM
Troy

Wow thank you very much! I noticed the front grommet was leaking a small
bit of oil onto the valve cover, maybe this will fix it also?

Troy

Old May 24th 05, 07:47 PM
Mike Romain

Very likely. That system has a constant suction and is really finely
tuned with the intake from the air filter. If the small plastic tube
blocks up, which happens pretty often from what I have seen or breaks or
leaks, then the engine's normal blow-by will go back into the air filter
even, let alone just to the grommet.

The grommets also get hard and then leak. I have used RTV on a few to
seal them to the cover. They have to be really clean first, then RTV
will hold great.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 24th 05, 11:02 PM
Jeff Strickland

You have a leak in the gas cap, or the gas cap is missing.

0442 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
0455 = Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I would not even consider the cause for the 442, and focus my attention on
the 455. After all, a small leak is only a small leak until it is a big
leak, but a big leak is a small leak in the beginning. My guess is that your
cap is not being put on well, or it has a diaphram of sorts inside that is
failing or has failed. either way, you need a gas cap. If you have a locking
gas cap, take it off and leave it at home for a couple of weeks while you
use the factory gas cap, or any other gas cap for that matter. Clear the
code and replace the cap, and see if the code comes back. I don't think it
will, and then you can spend the Family Fortune, or your kid's college fund,
and buy a new locking gas cap.

Old May 24th 05, 11:04 PM
Jeff Strickland

That is a rubber hose.