E34 1990 535i Throttle Switch - Manual Tranny.

Old October 6th 04, 08:51 PM
mark barron

Default E34 1990 535i Throttle Switch - Manual Tranny.

1. the resistance at the two pins for Idle at idle is not zero but about
10ohms (2-18)
2. The resistance for Full throttle is infinite in all positions. (3-18)

Can this be easily repaired or do I have to get a new sensor
Many Thanks, Mark

Old October 7th 04, 12:53 AM
Randolph

mark barron wrote:

> 1. the resistance at the two pins for Idle at idle is not zero but about
> 10ohms (2-18)
> 2. The resistance for Full throttle is infinite in all positions. (3-18)
>
> Can this be easily repaired or do I have to get a new sensor
> Many Thanks, Mark

My experience is with CIS-e (Bosch KE-Jetronic) fuel injection. I know
BMW has used this on both the 3 and 5 series, but I don't know what the
1990 535i had. It is not clear to me whether you have switches or a
resistive throttle position sensor. If you have the latter, my
experience does not apply, read no further.

When my idle switch broke, the dealer would only sell me a set of idle
and full throttle switches and wanted more than $100 for the set. I was
able to find a new idle switch at the junk yard for a couple of bucks. I
cut the old one out from the wiring harness and soldered the new one in.
I found that the same switches were used across a number of different
models and model years and even on models with different types of fuel
injection. As long as the throttle body was the same, the switches
seemed to be the same as well.
Old October 7th 04, 02:09 PM
mark barron

Thanks for you input. This is Luft JetTronics .The throttle switch has 3
pins numbers 2,3 and 18
It is my understanding that the resistance of the two pin pairs should be
Idle EveryOtherPosition
2-18 0 ohms infinite ohms
Full EveryOtherPosition
3-18 0 ohms infinite
Just thinking of taking switch assembly apart.