77 Bus - problem starting after engine warmed up

Old December 21st 04, 02:32 PM

Default 77 Bus - problem starting after engine warmed up

I am having trouble starting the engine on my 77 Bus after the engine
is warmed up. It fires right up on the first turn when the engine is
cold, but struggles to start when the engine gets hot.

I have a weak battery which I will be replacing very shortly and I am
thinking it may just be with the engine hot the compression increases
making it more difficult for that battery to turn the engine over as
quickly. Although during the first cranking it seems to spin as fast
as the first start.

But I am guessing it is probably more related to the carb and choking
mechanism. Or maybe even the points, do points loose some continuity
when they become hot?

In any case, it is on my list of things to look at. But before I
started jumping in thought I would ask if anyone has any ideas. After
all these VWs seem to have some common experiences or causes and if
that is the case, to take advantage of past experience now.
Thanks
Chuck

Old December 21st 04, 08:01 PM

Jim,
I have a 1600CC single carburator engine.

Identification of the carb:

This is the information found on the side of the carb.
Solex
H30/31PICT
Ind. Bars

So from that I looked on line and found Solex 31-PICT and Solex 30-PICT
but I am not sure which one of the two it would be since the
nomanclature is different on the carb vs what I am finding on line.
Chuck

Old December 21st 04, 09:22 PM

I live in a warm weather climate, 78 degrees fh today. So it is a
direct possiblity. I will check as you suggested.

What can I do about it if it is the case, besides moving to Michigan
:-) ?

Thanks
Chuck

Old December 23rd 04, 06:16 AM
Busahaulic

Before you get too deep into this and that, do a compression check. At the
very least, pull the plugs out and see if one of them is significantly
different in coloration from the others (#3) If they are all perfect
looking, maybe skip the compression check, but if it was me, I would check
that 1st if nothing else, to put my mind at ease. It is a typical symptom of
a number of things, one very common one is cracked head or valve trouble. If
it starts right up when you compression start it at a higher spinning speed
than the starter, perhaps this is a factor. If so it should also have
trouble idling smoothly when hot. Hope it's not your problem, but good
chance it is. - Bah

oups.com...

Old December 24th 04, 08:12 PM
Eduardo K.

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>I live in a warm weather climate, 78 degrees fh today. So it is a
>direct possiblity. I will check as you suggested.
>
>What can I do about it if it is the case, besides moving to Michigan
>:-) ?

easiest way to cope with it is crank with the gas
pedal to the floor. it should start much easier if
its flodding.

--
Eduardo K. |
http://e.nn.cl | Linus Torvalds
Old December 24th 04, 10:16 PM
tricky

I have a similar problem with one of mine - If its hot but the choke has
cooled (ie back ON ) then I find it helps if I have the ignition switch
on for 30 secs to a min for the choke element to warm up before trying
to start.

Rich

Old December 28th 04, 04:01 PM

I checkedthe plugs and compression and other then number 3 being a
little lower then the others everything looks fine.

I took an evening a rebuilt the carborator, and that seems to have done
the trick. I suspect the needle valve was leaking slightly.

One other thing that I did that may have helped. I put a relay back on
the fuel pump so that the pump will not run unless the engine is
spinning. The pump used to run with the ingition key on even if the
engine was not running. I don't think this was a major hit, for this
issue, but it sure seems to be safer.
Chuck