High Mileage VW Bug Mileage

Old November 21st 04, 04:48 PM
Paul Regal

Default High Mileage VW Bug Mileage

Has anyone ever setup a VW Bug for High Mileage?
I have a 68 Bug..wanna set it up for HIGHER Mileage
any setups or carbs available anywhere?
Thanks
Paul

Old November 21st 04, 05:11 PM
Jan Andersson

Paul Regal wrote:

> Has anyone ever setup a VW Bug for High Mileage?
> I have a 68 Bug..wanna set it up for HIGHER Mileage
> any setups or carbs available anywhere?
> Thanks
> Paul

Rebuild the engine and tune it to perfection. Instant 20-30%
improvement, and zero modifications.

This applies to most neglected VW beetle engines out there (most of them
are).

Jan
Old November 21st 04, 05:17 PM
Speedy Jim

Paul Regal wrote:

> Has anyone ever setup a VW Bug for High Mileage?
> I have a 68 Bug..wanna set it up for HIGHER Mileage
> any setups or carbs available anywhere?
> Thanks
> Paul

Install wooden block under gas pedal.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 21st 04, 05:46 PM
Paul Regal

Thanks Jan and Speedy Jim
Have either of you ever heard of or seen these carb before please?

The 100 MPG Carburetor Myth

Old November 21st 04, 05:52 PM
Paul Regal

Anyone ever heard of this Carb before?

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm

Old November 21st 04, 05:53 PM
Tim Rogers

"Paul Regal" > wrote in message

> Has anyone ever setup a VW Bug for High Mileage?
> I have a 68 Bug..wanna set it up for HIGHER Mileage
> any setups or carbs available anywhere?

................A stock engine with the original carburetor is about the best
available option for gas economy in a pre-75 year model bug. Driving style
is far more important. You're not going to match the 38 mpg at 65 mph of a
Honda civic with an aircooled engine that was designed 70 years ago unless
you drive it at a much lower speed. Even then, you'll have trouble getting
30 mpg unless everything is perfect.

............With my '77 bug, the L-Jetronic EFI with a stock cam & exhaust
system on a fully balanced Berg 1679 gets about 28 or 29 mpg at a steady 65
mph. Unfortunately, I like to drive at 75 to 85 mph...........lol

Old November 21st 04, 05:59 PM
Speedy Jim

Tim Rogers wrote:

> "Paul Regal" > wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone ever setup a VW Bug for High Mileage?
>>I have a 68 Bug..wanna set it up for HIGHER Mileage
>>any setups or carbs available anywhere?
>>

> ...............A stock engine with the original carburetor is about the best
> available option for gas economy in a pre-75 year model bug. Driving style
> is far more important. You're not going to match the 38 mpg at 65 mph of a
> Honda civic with an aircooled engine that was designed 70 years ago unless
> you drive it at a much lower speed. Even then, you'll have trouble getting
> 30 mpg unless everything is perfect.
>
> ...........With my '77 bug, the L-Jetronic EFI with a stock cam & exhaust
> system on a fully balanced Berg 1679 gets about 28 or 29 mpg at a steady 65
> mph. Unfortunately, I like to drive at 75 to 85 mph...........lol

LOL
OTOH I had a KG w/1600cc (stock) that would routinely get 38-40 MPG
at a very steady 60MPH. (I did cheat a bit with more advance than
is recommended but one has to assume the risks that go with it...)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 21st 04, 06:04 PM
Speedy Jim

Paul Regal wrote:

> Anyone ever heard of this Carb before?
>
> http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm

Yes. It is an ancient story (well, 70 years...)

Do a GOOGLE search for: "Fish carburetor"

Draw your own conclusions.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 21st 04, 06:40 PM
Tim Rogers

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> LOL
> OTOH I had a KG w/1600cc (stock) that would routinely get 38-40 MPG
> at a very steady 60MPH. (I did cheat a bit with more advance than
> is recommended but one has to assume the risks that go with it...)

...............Foul!

.......That KG was more aerodynamic than a bug and I bet you even kept the
windows rolled up to lower the drag coefficient and maybe you even put 40
psi in the tires too..........lol

........I'm running 38 deg total advance with 87 octane gas but that's
because I've got semi-hemi heads.

Old November 21st 04, 06:45 PM
Speedy Jim

Tim Rogers wrote:

> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
>
>> LOL
>> OTOH I had a KG w/1600cc (stock) that would routinely get 38-40 MPG
>> at a very steady 60MPH. (I did cheat a bit with more advance than
>> is recommended but one has to assume the risks that go with it...)
>>

> ..............Foul!
>
> ......That KG was more aerodynamic

than a bug and I bet you even kept the
> windows rolled up to lower the drag coefficient and maybe you even put 40
> psi in the tires too..........lol

Guilty! Did all of that too!

Jim

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 06:19 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 16th 04 06:28 AM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 10:14 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 1st 04 06:24 AM