speaking of 74 beetles and batteries

Old December 7th 04, 04:02 AM
John Willis

On 06 Dec 2004 23:58:11 GMT, (Kafertoys) scribbled
this interesting note:

>>Oh I understand what you are saying, but anything you recommend I
>>would avoid completely unless it was the only one available. Your
>>recommendations mean dick to me.
>>

>LOL I'm sure no one will argue you must be completely foolish if your going to
>ignore very good advice because you dislike me, but thats your choice.
>
>You should remember I work on aircooled VWs everyday and as any of my customers
>will tell you I believe in useing only the best parts available.
>
>Mario
>Vintage Werks restoration

You recommend batteries that leak and cause corrosion?

Best part available?

There are better batteries.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old December 7th 04, 05:16 AM
Bill Berckman

John Connolly wrote:

>Interstate Batteries are junk. The best battery/$ is at Wal-Mart.
>
>John
>Aircooled.Net Inc.

I got a battary a year and a half ago for the 67 at Wal Mart. It is hadr to
beat the price of $29 that I paid for it. Perfect size for the Beetle too.

Bill Berckman
67 Beetle

Old December 7th 04, 05:33 AM
Kafertoys

>I got a battary a year and a half ago for the 67 at Wal Mart. It is hadr
>beat the price of $29 that I paid for it. Perfect size for the Beetle too.
>

>Bill Berckman
>67 Beetle

Bill I have replaced a few Everstart (wal-mart brand) batteries that were
around 2 yrs old, they are nice because there cheap but I wonder if any will
last half as long as any of the interstate batteries I have used.
The one in my 67 westy is now 6 years old and has yet let me down.

Mario
Vintage Werks restorations
Old December 7th 04, 07:13 AM
David

> Bill I have replaced a few Everstart (wal-mart brand) batteries that
> were around 2 yrs old, they are nice because there cheap but I wonder
> if any will last half as long as any of the interstate batteries I
> have used.
> The one in my 67 westy is now 6 years old and has yet let me down.
>
> Mario
> Vintage Werks restorations

I put a autozone battery (wasn't there most expense either) in my f-150, going on 6 years now.
david

Old December 7th 04, 02:51 PM
John Willis

On 07 Dec 2004 05:33:04 GMT, (Kafertoys) scribbled
this interesting note:

>>I got a battary a year and a half ago for the 67 at Wal Mart. It is hadr
>>beat the price of $29 that I paid for it. Perfect size for the Beetle too.
>>

>>Bill Berckman
>>67 Beetle

>Bill I have replaced a few Everstart (wal-mart brand) batteries that were
>around 2 yrs old, they are nice because there cheap but I wonder if any will
>last half as long as any of the interstate batteries I have used.
>The one in my 67 westy is now 6 years old and has yet let me down.
>
>Mario
>Vintage Werks restorations

Actually I was thinking of the Optima gel-cell batteries. For any ACVW
they are a good choice because they will not leak, may be mounted in
any orientation, and don't cause rust. As you know, conventional
batteries are the primary cause of rust in ACVWs.

Yes, this kind of battery is bloody expensive, but they are reliable,
last a long time, and if you are going to keep your ACVW (as opposed
to selling it) then this kind of battery makes perfect sense. And if
you run a dual battery set up (with proper isolator circuit in place)
then they also make a deep cycle battery as well.

And no, so far as I know, I have no interest in Optima batteries. I'm
just happy with their product. I'd love to get my hands on three or
four (or more) of them, used, to put in some of my other cars. I get
tired of swapping out one good battery among three or four different
cars!:~)

Old December 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Raymond Lowe

The latest tests in Consumer Reports has the Costco Kirkland brand up on
top. Years ago, it was AC Delco. Many years before, Sears. And that's just
the one common size they usually pick to test. Due to the nature of their
construction, tests on different sizes would likely yield a different
pecking order.

The one thing you should look for is freshness. Batteries stored for
extended periods in various states of discharge are something to be avoided.
Most brands don't hide the date code anymore. It's there if you look. Month
is usually represented by a letter; A = Jan, B = Feb, etc. The year - a
numeral. For example; "F4" would mean the battery was manufactured in June
2004.

3 months old is max. Check further back in the rack or go somewhere else.

RT
--
E-mail=fullname-at-telus.net