erratic throttle response

Old May 22nd 04, 06:17 PM
RapidRon

Default erratic throttle response

I posted about this a little while ago, but still need more info.

My newly-acquired 1991 A4 2.8Q (14,000 miles) has very erratic, jerky and
unpredictable throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I
never know how it will respond. My wife nearly had an accident due to
throttle delay, and I hate driving in close quarters, like when parking.
The car is likely to do nothing at the first application of throttle, then
leap ahead. It's impossible to provide smooth acceleration, unless you
apply the throttle so slowly and carefully that you are willing to be the
last one away from the traffic light, with the car behind eating your
bumper. Mid-range throttle is better, but still poor, compared to any other
car I've driven.

The dealer had the car for a day, and said it was "normal". Screw that --
if it's normal, I want them to buy it back! They did a throttle adaptation
(I think) and that seemed to help a tiny amount (maybe) for a short time,
but then it was back to the old tricks. I'm beginning to hate driving this
otherwise-nice car.

I've read other complaints about something similar -- mainly throttle lag --
in various forums, but haven't read of anything exactly like this, nor of a
fix. HELP!!!!

RapidRon

--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply

Old May 22nd 04, 11:05 PM
dave

>From: "RapidRon"
>
>I posted about this a little while ago, but still need more info.
>
>My newly-acquired 1991 A4 2.8Q (14,000 miles) has very erratic, jerky and
>unpredictable throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I
>never know how it will respond. My wife nearly had an accident due to
>throttle delay, and I hate driving in close quarters, like when parking.
>The car is likely to do nothing at the first application of throttle, then
>leap ahead. It's impossible to provide smooth acceleration, unless you
>apply the throttle so slowly and carefully that you are willing to be the
>last one away from the traffic light, with the car behind eating your
>bumper. Mid-range throttle is better, but still poor, compared to any other
>car I've driven.
>
>The dealer had the car for a day, and said it was "normal". Screw that --
>if it's normal, I want them to buy it back! They did a throttle adaptation
>(I think) and that seemed to help a tiny amount (maybe) for a short time,
>but then it was back to the old tricks. I'm beginning to hate driving this
>otherwise-nice car.
>
>I've read other complaints about something similar -- mainly throttle lag --
>in various forums, but haven't read of anything exactly like this, nor of a
>fix. HELP!!!!

I have seen things from soft/broken motor mounts to broken/cracked boots to the
throttle body causing problems like that. Something might shift unexpectedly
when you first start to accelerate.
Check those boots first and let us know what you find!

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old May 25th 04, 10:33 PM
Christoph Bollig

> >From: "RapidRon"
> >
> >I posted about this a little while ago, but still need more info.
> >
> >My newly-acquired 1991 A4 2.8Q (14,000 miles) has very erratic, jerky and
> >unpredictable throttle response, especially when starting from a stop. I
> >never know how it will respond. My wife nearly had an accident due to
> >throttle delay, and I hate driving in close quarters, like when parking.
> >The car is likely to do nothing at the first application of throttle, then
> >leap ahead. It's impossible to provide smooth acceleration, unless you
> >apply the throttle so slowly and carefully that you are willing to be the
> >last one away from the traffic light, with the car behind eating your
> >bumper. Mid-range throttle is better, but still poor, compared to any other
> >car I've driven.
> >
> >The dealer had the car for a day, and said it was "normal". Screw that --
> >if it's normal, I want them to buy it back! They did a throttle adaptation
> >(I think) and that seemed to help a tiny amount (maybe) for a short time,
> >but then it was back to the old tricks. I'm beginning to hate driving this
> >otherwise-nice car.
> >
> >I've read other complaints about something similar -- mainly throttle lag --
> >in various forums, but haven't read of anything exactly like this, nor of a
> >fix. HELP!!!!

> I have seen things from soft/broken motor mounts to broken/cracked boots to the
> throttle body causing problems like that. Something might shift unexpectedly
> when you first start to accelerate.
> Check those boots first and let us know what you find!

Very stupid question: Does it do the same thing when standing in
neutral? If yes, did you try to turn the throttle at the engine (I
don't know what it is called, I mean this thing where the cable from
the acellerator cable ends at the engine and turns something). If you
turn there, you might be able to narrow down whether there is a
problem in the transmission from the paddle to the engine or in the
engine.

Just a thought, I am not an expert,

Christoph
--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.
Old May 26th 04, 12:11 AM
RapidRon

Chris,

Thanks for the thought, but this is a drive-by-wire throttle, that is, an
electronic wire. There is no cable. The throttle is moved by an electric
motor. It's all software magic - bad magic, in this case!

OOPS!!! I posted as a 1991 A4! I meant 2001. I don't think there was an
A4 in 1991, was there?

Old May 26th 04, 03:25 AM
Dennis W

I just got the same car and it does the same thing.

Old May 27th 04, 12:40 AM
RapidRon

Ouch! Now what do we do? Let me know if you find a solution, and I'll do
the same for you. BTW, mine seems to be fairly decent when the engine is
"cold", and for maybe the first 5 minutes. Does yours behave that way too?

Ron

--
Remove "No-Spam" from return address to reply
m...

Old May 27th 04, 01:50 AM
Dennis W

Ron,
I just got back from the dealer(Mercedes, Volvo, VW) where we bought the
car. It has 59,000 miles and runs great,except for the throttle response
from a standing start. We just got it monday so I have'nt driven it much. My
wife drives it. I spoke with the salesman and a VW mechanic. The mechanic
said there should be a little lag in initial throttle response and is
typical with a "drive by wire". The salesman drove it and said he thinks it
drives like it is supposed to. The cars transmission is "adaptive" and after
500 miles or so should adapt to how the wife drives it.(maybe the previous
owner was a lead foot and the car was responding to this type of driver.)
Anyway as I drove it, I became a little more comfortable with its response
and have decided to give it 500 miles or so to adapt and then if not happy
will take it to a different dealer(Audi) for a second opinion. Good luck
with yours and keep me informed. Feel free to email with questions or
comments.
Dennis

Old May 27th 04, 11:29 PM

Guys,

My 2000 A4 1.8T did the exact same thing after about 25k. The
throttle body was gummed up. The dealer cleaned mine out and
everything was good to go after that. HTH!

Elroy
2000 S4

On Thu, 27 May 2004 00:50:51 GMT, "Dennis W"