Chrysler engines

Old July 21st 05, 08:42 PM
C. E. White

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...

> Apparently having failed to learn the lesson, Chrysler paid Bitsu****ti to
> pull prolonged "No, really, we've fixed it this year, this time for
> sure" shenanigans on them between 1987 and 1994 with the 3.0 litre V6.
> Post-'94 3.0s aren't bad engines.

If only that was true. My SO's Caravan is inflicted with the Mitsubishi
junk. The rest of the van has been relatively trouble free. The engine even
at it best is a weak noisy piece of crap. The last time there was a problem,
the dealer's solution was to try to sell her a new engine. Fortunately an
independent mechanic was able to repair it by replacing a burned valve.
However, even after repairing it, he suggested dumping it immediately. He
had nothing good to say about the engine. Apparently my SO has one of the
better ones....

Personally there is no way I'll ever be seduced into buying another Chrysler
product. As soon as our last Dodge truck goes to the happy hunting ground
I'll swear off from Chrysler products forever. Long ago my Father warned me
not to buy Chryslers (as his Father warned him when he was young). I was too
stupid to believe him and suffered for not trusting his experience. I think
one Chrysler product per generation is enough (and I've had two). Chrysler
may not have learned their lesson, but I have learned mine.

Ed

Old July 22nd 05, 05:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Don Stauffer wrote:

> Our new one has an auto :-( We'd have preferred the manual, but we knew
> the last van we had, a '94 model, was one of the very last ones with
> manual. None in 95 and beyond.

Actually, 1995 was the last year in which handshift minivans were
available in North America from Chrysler Corp, and then only with the
2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine.

> I don't think there are ANY minivans now with manual.

There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
engine and a 5-speed.
Old July 22nd 05, 08:19 PM
C. E. White

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message >> Actually, 1995 was
the last year in which handshift minivans were

> There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
> world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
> engine and a 5-speed.

Whose turbo-diesel are they using?

Ed

Old July 22nd 05, 09:52 PM

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Whose turbo-diesel are they using?
>
> Ed

I dont know the answer, but Mercedes (Daimler) has long technology in
diesels and turbo diesels.

Outside the USA there is a rather wide availability of decent technology.
My son in Norway bought
a Ford station wagon at auction for about $5000. (I was surprised to find
it was in great shape) New
cars there usually cost from $30,000 upward. (My bosses GS430 would have
cost $200,000 in taxes)

This little Ford has plenty of power, runs well, gets great economy, and is
a 4 cylinder diesel. Darn sure
doesnt run like what I would expect from a 4 cyl diesel.

Old July 22nd 05, 10:07 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, C. E. White wrote:

> > There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
> > world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
> > engine and a 5-speed.

> Whose turbo-diesel are they using?

Steyr-Daimler-Puch
Old July 23rd 05, 03:15 AM
C. E. White

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, C. E. White wrote:
>
>> > There are lots of them...outside North America. Everywhere else in the
>> > world, you can have your Chrysler Voyager with a very nice turbodiesel
>> > engine and a 5-speed.

>> Whose turbo-diesel are they using?

> Steyr-Daimler-Puch

Thanks.

Is this the same engine they are using in the Jeep Liberty? Are the vans
assembled in the US and shipped to Europe?

Ed

Old July 24th 05, 08:51 PM

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chevy II four cylinder engine without any problems.
> Oh, wait. I forgot that this was GM.

Yep...
I'm one of the people who call the Iron Duke engine bad names. For me, it
was a POS.
The one in our 84 Fiero cracked early on, and GM denied there was any
problem. Finally,
when it could limp no further, I pulled it out and surely enough there was
the characteristic
crack. Several trips to the boneyard yielded many more engines of the same
year with the
same cracked blocks. Finally, I found one that was worn out but no crack,
had it bored,
and rebuilt it.

GM has made ****teaux engines which include some of the 3800's (although
many are quite
reliable, not all series are), the DOHC affront to humanity, and a few
others.

By the way, I just bought the CR annual review, and although I openly do not
trust CR very
much, it is helpful in finding a body style I like, and picking out the
engine/transmission options
I can get. It looks like, if I am to buy new or slightly used, it is
probably going to be a Honda
or a Toyota, but CR's ratings had little or nothing to do with it.