Rubicon question

Old March 9th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Rubicon question

"Troy" <troy@ .> wrote in message
. ..
> He is going to have to buy a speedo gear from the dealership, according to
> the ring and pinion gear he already has. I used this link to figure mine
> out: http://www.raingler.com/tech/speedoChart.asp

There is no need to buyit from the dealership, any speed shop should carry
them.

> Funny thing is that the parts guy at my dealership said I'd have to
> reflash my computer but I bought the proper speedo gear anyway (he said it
> wouldn't work). It does.
>
> I really think its a bad idea not to change the gears with that size tire,
> might be doable with 3.73 but my jeep had 3.07 with a manual transmission
> when I went to 33's and it was so bad I didn't drive it until I could buy
> the gears.

I agree with you, BUT the Rubi comes stock with 4.10 gears anyway, so it may
work out okay. I stick to 4.56s if I was doing it, so the 4.10s won't be too
bad.

Old March 9th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Someone in this group said the Rubicon automatically recalibrates
speedometer for tire size, like it may have an axle height sensor.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 9th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Jeff, the Rubicon 4:1 T- case IIRC doesn't use a speedo gear, it uses an
induction pickup sensor on a tone ring inside the case.

Old March 9th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I've heard that before too but I can't imagine how it would do that unless
there is some kind of sensor, I'd guess a GPS module.

Old March 9th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That said, I am skeptical.

Old March 9th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, the Rubicon has no way to self-calibrate its own speedometer. The
dealer must reflash the computer but I don't think they have a way to
reflash for any tire as large as 35".

And the Rubicon's performance with its 4.10 axle ratio with 35" tires
and the 5-speed or 6-speed tranny would absolutely suck big-time.
Performance would not be so bad with that combination if it had an
automatic though.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old March 9th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That is the combo I'm currently using. While not ideal, I'm not a rock
crawler so with the auto trans it is satifactory. There has been nothing
that 4LO didn't get me out of.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old March 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

i have 456 with 35's and bought a new speedo gear at the dealer it was only
10 bucks

Old March 9th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yep but again, that won't work with a Rubicon that does not use a
speedometer gear.

Old March 10th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd126.htm

Several folks on the rubicon owners' forum have used this solution and
say it's dead on compared to GPS speed.

The computer is capable of being properly calibrated for 35's w/ stock
gearing by the dealer's computer too, but it's not possible with
numerically higher gear ratios. For what you'd pay them, though, the
Dakota solution is probably a better deal overall since if he ever does
change gears, he just needs to reprogram it again.

-jd