DeckLid Spring

Old July 25th 05, 05:46 PM
Robert Horvath

Default DeckLid Spring

Hi!

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Bob and I live in Kitchener,
Ontario, Canada. I decided to purchase a 68 VW Bug last summer which was in
great shape (restored) and just needed small tweaks here and there. I am
not a show car type of person...I just like to bomb around in it March to
November and put it away for the winter. I've been lurking in this
newsgroup for the last year but have never posted anything.

The bug did not have a spring installed to keep the rear decklid up. I've
ordered one through California Imports but am having a hell of a time
installing it. Do you recommend taking the decklid off and then fitting
the spring into the hinge on the body and on the decklid? Or is there a
trick to doing it while the decklid is still on? Or could there be an issue
with the spring manufacture? I've checked out:

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/project_cars/0412vwt_super/

to see what it should look like but can't believe the force that is required
to get the two ends into the holes on the hinge of the decklid?

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,

Bob

Old July 25th 05, 06:16 PM
P.J. Berg

Robert Horvath wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Let me introduce myself first. My name is Bob and I live in Kitchener,
> Ontario, Canada. I decided to purchase a 68 VW Bug last summer which was in
> great shape (restored) and just needed small tweaks here and there. I am
> not a show car type of person...I just like to bomb around in it March to
> November and put it away for the winter. I've been lurking in this
> newsgroup for the last year but have never posted anything.
>
> The bug did not have a spring installed to keep the rear decklid up. I've
> ordered one through California Imports but am having a hell of a time
> installing it. Do you recommend taking the decklid off and then fitting
> the spring into the hinge on the body and on the decklid? Or is there a
> trick to doing it while the decklid is still on? Or could there be an issue
> with the spring manufacture? I've checked out:
>
> http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/project_cars/0412vwt_super/
>
> to see what it should look like but can't believe the force that is required
> to get the two ends into the holes on the hinge of the decklid?
>
> Any ideas or comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Remove the decklid from the body, and have a friend thread the hinge
bolts when you offer up the whole assembly.

J.
Old July 25th 05, 07:21 PM
Spike

I had terrible trouble with mine, but it's so easy when you know how.

If I remember correctly, you fit the spring first then one side of bolts
loose, then the other side before tightening.

Might be wrong though, was about a year ago.

Spike
www.soccer-stuff.net

news

Old July 26th 05, 12:21 AM
Jan Andersson

Robert Horvath wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Let me introduce myself first. My name is Bob and I live in Kitchener,
> Ontario, Canada. I decided to purchase a 68 VW Bug last summer which was in
> great shape (restored) and just needed small tweaks here and there. I am
> not a show car type of person...I just like to bomb around in it March to
> November and put it away for the winter. I've been lurking in this
> newsgroup for the last year but have never posted anything.
>
> The bug did not have a spring installed to keep the rear decklid up. I've
> ordered one through California Imports but am having a hell of a time
> installing it. Do you recommend taking the decklid off and then fitting
> the spring into the hinge on the body and on the decklid? Or is there a
> trick to doing it while the decklid is still on? Or could there be an issue
> with the spring manufacture? I've checked out:
>
> http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/project_cars/0412vwt_super/
>
> to see what it should look like but can't believe the force that is required
> to get the two ends into the holes on the hinge of the decklid?
>
> Any ideas or comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

This is the only way I have found that actually works, and doesn't
require violence or strenght or busted knuckles:

1. Tape the top corners of the lid with masking tape to protect paint
from chipping. JUST IN CASE.

2. mount hinge onto the lid. Loop points UP.

3. Remove all but one hinge screw (that's 3 out of 4). You may want to
mark the position of the bolts with a marker.

4. loosen the last screw.

5. While keeping the lid half open, pull it to the side, having it hinge
on the last remaining bolt. It swings open to the side. Careful now with
the top corners, they will want to hit the body. Once you get this down
to a routine, it's easy.

6. place hinge loop end in the notch where it belongs, plenty of room
now and no tension needed. You will noe swing the lid back where it was,
using the lid to compress the spring. It loads easily, just have the 3
bolts ready within reach. You will need to hold the lid in place against
the spring tension while screwing at least one of those bolts in.

7. now spend the rest of your weekend trying to get the lid lined up
right.

8. Reward yourself with a sixpack.

Jan