Ion Redline Questions

Old April 4th 05, 05:30 PM
Bob

Default Ion Redline Questions

Hi,

I just bought an Ion Quad Coupe Redline. I have a few questions that I
couldn't get answered by the dealer...

The docs that came with the car are Ion and have no mention of the
Redline. That's no big deal, but I was told by the dealer that the oil
changes MUST use Mobil 1 and that the oil change interval was "as usual"
meaning (more or less every 3k miles). I have no problem with that, but
the manual just says "use 5W30", there's no mention of synthetic anything.

The other question is regarding fuel choice. The manual says use 87
octane and then goes on to explain that using fuel rated lower than that
can cause knocking. Not exactly an earth-shattering revelation. But my
question is this: because the motor is "boosted", shouldn't you use
higher octane fuel to get the benefit of the supercharger (and not
suffer from engine management timing retard)?

Please reply via mail, I don't visit this newsgroup very regularly.

BTW, the car is a blast to drive!

Regards,
Bob Lang

Old April 4th 05, 11:55 PM
Lane

The model is "Red Line", not "Redline".

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old April 7th 05, 03:57 AM
M. Cantera

The Saturn website also had 87 octane listed as the minimum octane
like all of the engines offered. This may be a bit of wishful
thinking the moment you spin the supercharger up.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/feature...av=210&cat=Spe

Some of the mechanics I deal with recomment that you do not use
synthetics until the engine is fully broken in (1st. 15k miles). Some
of the Saturn engines use oil pressure to maintain proper load on the
tensioner of the timing chain. If you run the oil for too long it
will increase viscosity, lowered oil pressure, and may lead to failure
of the timing change. I'm not aware of unusual sludge or varnish
buildup in the Saturn engines, so regular oil should be ok.

Old April 7th 05, 04:40 AM
marx404

Well, I hope that you do return to this post to read this. First of all, yes
you do need to run synthetic to properly maintain this particular variety of
the ecotec engine. W/O getting into technicalities, Saturn thouroughly
tested and proved that Mobil 1 would assist in keeping the engine running
proper and safe under duress using this oil. Using plain oil WILL void your
warranty and eventually allow damage to pistons, etc. The supercharged ION
engines pistons are oil cooled, and Saturn has designed this engine to use
the advantages of Mobil 1 to keep this engine running correctly and w/o
consequential damage that would occur from using regular oil. You bought a
performance car, and should maintain it like a performance car.

If cost of Mobil 1 is a factor, then I can suggeat buying your own from your
local parts store, and let Saturn do it or do it yourself (but if you do the
latter, do bring it in for a check up once in awhile, missed service
bulletins can be costly!)

Secondly, the red line ION has a Supercharger and thus requires premium gas.
Superchargers and turbos require higher octane that premium gasolines have
and mid and lower grqades dont.

Lastly, I am hearing so much from new Red Line owners that have bought from
ignorant salesman that it makes me wanna scream! Not to mention that Saturn
has never printed a specific owners manual for the ION RL, which is going to
leave alot of new owners misinformed and hurting.

DO check out www.redlineforums.com and www.saturnspot.com , you can find
alot of RL owners there that can help you too.

marx404

Old April 7th 05, 06:10 PM
y_p_w

M. Cantera wrote:
> The Saturn website also had 87 octane listed as the minimum octane
> like all of the engines offered. This may be a bit of wishful
> thinking the moment you spin the supercharger up.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/feature...av=210&cat=Spe

> Some of the mechanics I deal with recomment that you do not use
> synthetics until the engine is fully broken in (1st. 15k miles).

Some
> of the Saturn engines use oil pressure to maintain proper load on the
> tensioner of the timing chain. If you run the oil for too long it
> will increase viscosity, lowered oil pressure, and may lead to

failure
> of the timing change. I'm not aware of unusual sludge or varnish
> buildup in the Saturn engines, so regular oil should be ok.

Possibly true years ago, but not so much now. Now the amount of
friction from motor oils is a function of friction modifiers added
to all motor oils. I still waited until 6,000 miles anyways.

Also - the definition of "synthetic oil" is rather nebulous now.
Some are made from the traditional "synthesized hydrocarbons" like
Mobil 1, while others are highly processed petroleum oil (most of
the major brands in the US now).