Bicyclists - Best way to punish drivers who endanger you

Old February 21st 05, 06:06 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Jim Yanik .> wrote:

>Addendum;not all workplaces have showers to wash off the stink(nor do
>people on the mass transit want stinkers nearby)

Not a problem in Philadelphia. The bike riders would only slightly
increase the number of stinkers.
Old February 21st 05, 06:15 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Preston Crawford > wrote:
>On 2005-02-18, Matthew Russotto > wrote:
>
>Bikes are fine for commuting. And picking up groceries and....

If you are willing to pick up one or two bags at a time.

>The problem is that you're a tool. And I don't mean that as an insult. I
>mean that in a literal sense. You area a tool of the machine. You've let
>yourself be brain-washed into thinking that the only way possible to
>achieve what you need to achieve is via a car.

Nyet. I know I could achieve what I need to achieve without a car. I
also know it would be more time consuming, more difficult, and leave
me unable to achieve many things I _want_ to achieve.

Old February 21st 05, 06:28 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Stephen Harding > wrote:

>I've always believed it's lack of social penalty in a car
>that isn't there if you are on foot, e.g. cutting into a
>ticket line for theater or sporting event. In a car, people
>do it all the time!

Roads aren't queues. It's not the lack of social penalty, it's a
different rule set.

Old February 21st 05, 06:50 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2005 18:42:09 -0800, wrote:
>

> >Many people bike to work without needing shower facilities. I'm one

of
> >them. No, I don't stink when I arrive

> Not that I believe you for even a microsecond, but even if true it's
> beside the point. *I* stink after riding a bike for 7 miles,
> especially in August. My hair is a sweaty mess, too, and needs to be
> washed.
>
> >Clean sweat does not stink.

> Let me guess: your **** doesn't stink, either, right?

Look, you can think what you want, and I don't care if you ever ride a
bike at all. But why doubt what my experience has been?

I've commuted by bike since 1977. In that span of time, there were two
times I had a problem with stinky sweat. The first time, I asked my
physician about it. He's a cyclist, too. He explained it, and
explained how to cure it. It worked. When the problem recurred about
ten years later, I knew what to do.

Your ignorance doesn't change the facts as I've experienced them and
reported them.

My only factual mistake was this: I gave the wrong name for the
anti-bacterial soap. It's Betadyne.

> >If your sweat _does_ stink, it's because you've got nasty bacteria
> >living on your skin and (probably) in your undershirts.

> Of course I do - bacteria are everywhere. It's impossible to kill

them
> all, and the ones you do kill are replaced within minutes.

There are different species. Some are more obnoxious than others. In
my experience (and that of my doctor) you _can_ prevent that same
species from excessive recolonization.

> >It's interesting that so many people have gotten so delicate that

they
> >think physical activity is impossible!

> Who said it was impossible? I simply said that I am sweaty after
> performing it and want to wash the sweat off rather than sit there
> soaking in it.

Fine. Take a shower, or do what you need to do. But recognize that
your way is not the only way. And consider that you may not, in fact,
know _everything_.

Old February 21st 05, 06:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:15:55 -0600,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote in message
>:

>>Bikes are fine for commuting. And picking up groceries and....

>If you are willing to pick up one or two bags at a time.

http://www.bikesandtrailers.com/bike-trailers/

Now please stop telling us what we can't possibly do with our bikes.
Or are you hoping that, one we're told things are obviously
impossible, we'll stop doing them?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 21st 05, 06:57 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:11:21 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote in message
>:

>I said *I* won't pedalcycle to work unless there is a shower; I don't
>give a flying **** if YOU do it. If your boss and co-workers don't
>mind you stinking up their workplace, why should I?

You really don't get it, do you? I don't have to shower when I get to
the office *because I don't get smelly while cycling*. Simple. Like
I said, I don't care if you do or don't, but a shower is not a
necessity. For me the only necessity is somewhere secure to park the
bike.

Old February 21st 05, 07:02 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> > You might want to ask a Japanese what they think of the roundeyes'
> > burger breath some time ;-)

> This is true -- and of southeast Asians as well -- Vietnamese,

Burmese, etc.
> Their stereotype of Americans is that we're all stinky, dirty, fat

slobs.

> The fat stereotype about us is pretty universal, actually, followed

by loud and
> rude.

The "fat" stereotype is quite accurate, actually.

The last time I was in Britain (for 9/11/01, as it turned out), I was
struck by the difference in girth. Actually, I was struck when I
returned to the states and waited at the airport for transportation.
My business associate and I had just been hanging around a British
airport, so our memories were fresh. The number of overweight
Americans was appalling, by contrast with the British. And the British
press is claiming that _they_ are overweight!

The more you sit, the wider you grow.

Old February 21st 05, 07:10 PM

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

> I said *I* won't pedalcycle to work unless there is a shower; I don't
> give a flying **** if YOU do it. If your boss and co-workers don't
> mind you stinking up their workplace, why should I?

And I don't care if you ever pedal a bike at all. All I'm trying to do
is correct the lie that every person stinks after every bit of
exercise. I'm sorry, but ignorance and lies tend to bother me.

> --
> Sloth Kills!
> http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

Interesting website. The fact that you equate "sloth" with driving too
slowly is noteworthy. The corollary, that you equate exercise with
pressing harder on the gas pedal, explains a lot!