Engine Code advice please

Old July 11th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Keith Phillips

Default Engine Code advice please

My 2.7 '98 Intrepid shows a P0404 code. Explanation is ' The EGR position
sensor makes no sense'

Anyone any advice in which way to proceed, or should I just ignore it?
Cheers
Keith

Old July 11th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sharon Cooke

Keith Phillips wrote:
> My 2.7 '98 Intrepid shows a P0404 code. Explanation is ' The EGR position
> sensor makes no sense'
>
> Anyone any advice in which way to proceed, or should I just ignore it?
> Cheers
> Keith

P0404 = EGR Position Sensor Performance
It means the engine control has moved the EGR valve a certain amount and
is expecting a confirming feedback as to the new position, BUT IS NOT
receiving it. This can be a bad sensor, carbon buildup on the EGR valve
itself, or simply a loose/corroded connection.
Without a fix, fuel mileage will suffer (for openers).
Old July 11th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Keith Phillips

Thanks Sharon, it self cleared 4 starts later. When the weather gets a bit
cooler I will take a look at the connections etc, its a bit difficult to get
at!
You used to be able to lube the EGR Valve on cars.
Keith

Old July 12th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

You do not say how many miles are on the vehicle, but it is common for the
EGR to fail between 75-100K on most cars. It also can trigger a code and
then "self-correct", but rest assured it will most likely come back again.

It is usually not too difficult to replace for a DIYer. I've done them on
the 3.5L and 3.8L, but not on the 2.7L (yet). My 2001 2.7L has just over
63K miles so I expect it will be in my not too distant future.

Good luck.

Bob

.. .

Old July 12th 07, 11:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Keith Phillips

Bob I have 275000 k!! So I guess I might have to change it. It did look
relatively easy after reading my Chiltons just have to allott the time , I
guess. Thanks for the input.
"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
et...
> You do not say how many miles are on the vehicle, but it is common for the
> EGR to fail between 75-100K on most cars. It also can trigger a code and
> then "self-correct", but rest assured it will most likely come back again.
>
> It is usually not too difficult to replace for a DIYer. I've done them on
> the 3.5L and 3.8L, but not on the 2.7L (yet). My 2001 2.7L has just over
> 63K miles so I expect it will be in my not too distant future.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bob
>
> "Keith Phillips" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Thanks Sharon, it self cleared 4 starts later. When the weather gets a
>> bit cooler I will take a look at the connections etc, its a bit difficult
>> to get at!
>> You used to be able to lube the EGR Valve on cars.
>> Keith

>>> P0404 = EGR Position Sensor Performance
>>> It means the engine control has moved the EGR valve a certain amount and
>>> is expecting a confirming feedback as to the new position, BUT IS NOT
>>> receiving it. This can be a bad sensor, carbon buildup on the EGR valve
>>> itself, or simply a loose/corroded connection.
>>> Without a fix, fuel mileage will suffer (for openers).

>> --

Engine code Lost In Space/Woodchuck VW water cooled 5 June 6th 07 08:09 AM
Engine oil advice ambrin Jeep 12 February 22nd 06 03:00 AM
So I Bought an OBD Code Reader... MAF Advice, Please Brian Running VW water cooled 2 August 10th 05 09:42 PM
need advice on engine M vd Zeijden Dodge 4 February 10th 05 12:44 PM