95 sl2 automatic - post diyer trans r&r

Old September 1st 04, 07:21 PM
Dave V

Default 95 sl2 automatic - post diyer trans r&r

well, i have made a couple posts about my 95 sl2 automaic trans problems,
thought i would make one more

i would say after changing the bad origanal trans for a junkyard trans
myself, i'd say that it was a pretty big job for a diy-er

i have some automotive background, but boy did changing that trans s*ck, i
spent the better part of two days on it and had to get a little help on
getting the engine/trans in and out. on the second test drive i started
having problems. i found out it was just a connector that wasnt on all the
way, on the alternator of all things.

the junkyard trans works, it bangs into 4th pretty hard under light load,
shifts ok under normal load, and i still have a check engine light to deal
with (probably another loose connector).

i guess i would have to say i dont reccomend doing a trans change in your
garage on the weekend. i think i would have rather paid the local shop
rates. ymmv

thanks,
DaveV

Old September 1st 04, 09:09 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Dave V" > wrote:

> the junkyard trans works, it bangs into 4th pretty hard under light load,
> shifts ok under normal load, and i still have a check engine light to deal
> with (probably another loose connector).

If you've got the old tranny still, hang onto it. It sounds like you
might need it in the future

BTW, find out how hard it is to rebuild yourself. That can be a lot of
fun, esp if you've got a parts washer to basically sterilize everything
inside, which along with getting the clearences right will go a long way
towards making a rebuild last. Really, all you do is open it, clean it,
rplace al the seals and frictions, and button it up with everything to
spec. I did a friend's C6 and it wasn't too bad - the biggest headache
was manuall cleaning everything, otherwise, it came apart one day (about
4 hours to get it all apart), cleaned and went back together in a day,
too. It's an easier job than swapping them is, trust me
Old September 1st 04, 11:46 PM
Dave V

Do you know if there are any quality additives that will work for the saturn
automatic
trans ?

a friend that works at a GM dealer suggested Justice Brothers

thanks,
DaveV

Old September 2nd 04, 03:30 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Dave V" > wrote:

> Do you know if there are any quality additives that will work for the saturn
> automatic
> trans ?
>
> a friend that works at a GM dealer suggested Justice Brothers

IMHO, additives really aren't worth it. Fix the problem, don't try to
cover it up. If your seals are shot, they're shot, period. Seal
sweller, leak stoppers, etc won't really do much.
Old September 2nd 04, 04:37 AM
Dave V

>>>Fix the problem, don't try to cover it up<<<

that sure sounds like good advise based on all kinds of things i've fixed in
my life

in this case i'm trying to get the car to run reliably for another month or
two so i can take my time and find another good used commuter car to rack up
a lot of miles on. its tough to find something worth owning for 5,000 these
days

i guess i'll just run it and hope for the best, maybe fush the fluid and
change the filter after a couple days. it sat in a storage barn for a couple
years at the salvage yard, maybe i'll get lucky

the saturn has been a good comfortable car, it was inexpensive at 2,700 used
and i got three years and about 100k out of it with very little maintainance
and good gas mileage. the car has 210,000 on it now and would need another
timing chain, tires, cat, and a windshield as well as a few little things. i
really want to get something a little more sporty and easyer to work on. i
would like to do some track days at summit point and some autocross. the
saturn sl2 with an automatic just isnt the car for that :-(

91 Spirit Trans Problem Tank U Dodge 0 November 20th 04 02:03 PM
95 SL2 Automatic Trans shift problem Dave V Saturn 1 August 13th 04 09:27 PM