Roof Rack!

Old May 25th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Roof Rack!

I'm just tickled pimk! It took me a couple days, off and
on, to install the rack and it looks great! My window hinge
bolts came out with little trouble, only needed the impact
wrench on one bolt, and the tail lights are a cinch to
remove. I'm really pleased I managed to get the whole thing
up there, by myself, with out messing anything up!

Oh, and they don't sell just the doohicky off the rear
window retaining bar:^( Guess I'll check out junk yards,
yay! (I had a Pinto...I luv junk yards...

Seahag

Old May 25th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Just be aware that the tail lights ground through their bolts and
sometimes putting a spacer under them leaves a rusty part of the bolt on
the body metal which can cause strange things to happen when you hit the
brakes or signals with the headlights on....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 25th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Akkk! And there I was all proud of myself! Is there
something I should do to neutralize this? Seems like the
lights are now grounded on the tub and the rack!

Seahag

Old May 25th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I live in the salt belt so I like antiseize and loctite. Both products
keep corrosion away really well.

If they are now working ok, then likely your Jeep was new enough not to
have immediate issues. If you get strange lights down the road
sometime, just think of those bolts first... ;-)

Mike

Old May 25th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Try it, see if all the lights work correctly. At the first sign of
trouble, run a ground wire from under the lights to the body.

Old May 25th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ah, Neverseize and Eversieze! I live on a boat so salt
protection is second nature. I ran a bead of silicone
_around_ the 3 bolt triangle to slow down water penetration.
Made things really interesting to hold while I got a bolt
in, next time I'm having an awl handy!

Seahag

Old May 25th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'll save this post for the future, and knock on wood for
the present! Thanks.

Seahag

Old May 25th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Aww geese.... Then you really' don't want to know what I am going to
say next....

Silicone out gasses a gas that turns into acid in contact with
water/humidity. This acid will eat the body metal totally away. The
number of windshield frames I have seen totally rotted through from that
is amazing. Normally one would use a butyl sealant for body metal or
stuff they call 'seam sealer'.

Mike

Old May 25th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Crikey, I knew I'd have to take something apart. Well, at
least it's a long weekend!

Seahag

Old May 25th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I feel better now:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...l-pan-skid.htm

Seahag

"Seahag" > wrote in message
> Crikey, I knew I'd have to take something apart. Well, at
> least it's a long weekend!
>
> Seahag
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote:
>> Aww geese.... Then you really' don't want to know what I
>> am going to
>> say next....
>>
>> Silicone out gasses a gas that turns into acid in contact
>> with
>> water/humidity. This acid will eat the body metal
>> totally away. The
>> number of windshield frames I have seen totally rotted
>> through from that
>> is amazing. Normally one would use a butyl sealant for
>> body metal or
>> stuff they call 'seam sealer'.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> Seahag wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, Neverseize and Eversieze! I live on a boat so salt
>>> protection is second nature. I ran a bead of silicone
>>> _around_ the 3 bolt triangle to slow down water
>>> penetration.
>>> Made things really interesting to hold while I got a
>>> bolt
>>> in, next time I'm having an awl handy!
>>>
>>> Seahag

FS: A4 Jetta base carrier bars (Roof rack) Dave VW water cooled 0 March 30th 06 02:22 AM
Quick advise needed for roof rack. tor Honda 2 February 7th 06 04:38 PM
Attaching a roof rack lab~rat Dodge 4 October 21st 04 07:37 PM
LW roof rack Oppie Saturn 0 June 21st 04 08:38 PM