Dodge Grand Caravan Headlight repair

Old January 11th 05, 08:22 PM
UncleJuicy

Default Dodge Grand Caravan Headlight repair

I own a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. The plastic covers of the headlight
assemblies are no longer clear like they are supposed to be. The
headlights do not light the road up very well...I have learned that these
assemblies can be fixed by some 'polishing' process. I would like to
clean them up myself, but I am not sure how to do that. Could you help me
figure out how to do this?

please e-mail me at:

Old January 22nd 05, 04:37 AM
hachiroku

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:22:52 -0500, UncleJuicy wrote:

> I own a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. The plastic covers of the headlight
> assemblies are no longer clear like they are supposed to be. The
> headlights do not light the road up very well...I have learned that these
> assemblies can be fixed by some 'polishing' process. I would like to
> clean them up myself, but I am not sure how to do that. Could you help me
> figure out how to do this?
>
> please e-mail me at:

You can try buffing them with a decent buffing compound, but what has
happened is that the clear optical coating has been sandblasted away after
years of driving, probably in a dusty environment. The coating process is
a two-part coating, not generally available to the public.

Clean then and buff them and coat them with wax.
Old January 23rd 05, 03:46 AM
Cranky One

I have heard that these guys do a good job. I have not used them myself.

http://www.clearagain.com/

news

Old January 28th 05, 01:08 AM
Caravan Driver

"Cranky One" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have heard that these guys do a good job. I have not used them myself.
>
> http://www.clearagain.com/
>

> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:22:52 -0500, UncleJuicy wrote:
> >
> >> I own a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. The plastic covers of the headlight
> >> assemblies are no longer clear like they are supposed to be. The
> >> headlights do not light the road up very well...I have learned that

these
> >> assemblies can be fixed by some 'polishing' process. I would like to
> >> clean them up myself, but I am not sure how to do that. Could you help
> >> me
> >> figure out how to do this?
> >>
> >> please e-mail me at:

> > You can try buffing them with a decent buffing compound, but what has
> > happened is that the clear optical coating has been sandblasted away

after
> > years of driving, probably in a dusty environment. The coating process

is
> > a two-part coating, not generally available to the public.
> >
> > Clean then and buff them and coat them with wax.

Why not just change the lights? I'll never understand this one. Heck they
are ~$80 each at AutoZone, or $25/ea on eBay (new aftermarket), or you might
get lucky and find better ones in the boneyard for $10-$15/ea.

Old February 3rd 05, 12:26 AM
Vash the Stampede

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:08:35 -0500, Caravan Driver wrote:

> "Cranky One" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I have heard that these guys do a good job. I have not used them myself.
>>
>> http://www.clearagain.com/
>>

>> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
>> news

> these

>> > You can try buffing them with a decent buffing compound, but what has
>> > happened is that the clear optical coating has been sandblasted away

> after
>> > years of driving, probably in a dusty environment. The coating process

> is
>> > a two-part coating, not generally available to the public.
>> >
>> > Clean then and buff them and coat them with wax.

> Why not just change the lights? I'll never understand this one. Heck they
> are ~$80 each at AutoZone, or $25/ea on eBay (new aftermarket), or you might
> get lucky and find better ones in the boneyard for $10-$15/ea.

Actually, I just found out they are $28.95 from Certifit (Sure-it-fits?)
In Minneapolis, Oklahoma City and...and..er...Oh, shoot! Midwest
somewhere! they will ship UPS. If you are on the East Coast you have to
pick them up. The people in Minneapolis are cool.