Breaks

Old January 16th 05, 12:02 PM
Geir R.Pettersson

Default Breaks

1994 Cherokee 2,1TD (I know won't happen again)

The breaks, break uneven, (rough)
If I use the brake on snow, I must be careful, because the back wheel gets
stocked, and I have no control over the car.
I have been told that it is a weakness on the model, and that the Jeep
garage here, rebuild the system for NOK 15-18000 (3-3500 CAD) anyone who
know what they rebuild ? change ?

I was hoping I could do it myself, but have no idea what they rebuild.

Best Regards
Geir R.Pettersson

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 01:34 PM
TCL

Geir,

I've had a similar problem on a YJ and also several other vehicles over the
years. When one of the rear brakes tends to lock-up early, I always look
for a leaking wheel cylinder. When brake fluid gets into the drum assembly
and on the brake shoes, you will experience a lockups.

Tim
news

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 03:56 PM
Mike Romain

The brake pads and shoes are easy to change yourself. In total it is
about a $50.00 job in parts normally.

One rear wheel grabbing can mean it has some fluid on it. Either from a
leaky brake cylinder or from a leaky axle seal. It takes very little.

It also can mean the brake on the other side is way out of adjustment or
it can mean the front brakes are worn out so the rear brakes are working
too hard.

I got one back wheel locking up on braking when a front wheel bearing
went bad and got it a second time when a front brake pad got warped from
humidity.

In both those cases, the first hit of the brake pedal only took up the
fluid space to compress the front pad back to the rotor, not squeeze so
the rear brakes did all the work. When I hit the pedal fast a second
time (pumping them), then the front brakes worked and the rear didn't
lock up.

This just started again a couple days ago my wife tells me. I drove it
to the store yesterday and at the first stop, screech goes one back
wheel. I am betting humidity got to the pads again. Gotta check it out
this week.

Oh, by the by, no, Cherokee's do 'not' have bad brakes that need a
$3000.00 rip off 'fix'.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 16th 05, 05:17 PM
DougW

Geir R.Pettersson did pass the time by typing:

http://www.dippy.org/svcman/sm05b.html
http://www.partsplus.com/shared/Mark...DrumBrakes.pdf

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old January 16th 05, 08:04 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think you should take it back to the shop that did your brake
work, and find out what they did. Go item by item on the original work
order. And of course tell them your problem, you may have developed a
wheel cylinder or axle fluid leak, fouling your brake shoes. Or leak in
your front brake system that has switched their proportioning valve off.
Or some people like the control a couple of bags of cement in the back
give them.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

http://www.arctic-heating.com

Old January 17th 05, 02:10 AM
Jeff Strickland

Technically, its BRAKES. Brakes make your car stop. The car will not stop
when the brakes break.

If you have no idea what they rebuild, you should not attempt the repairs
yourself.

http://www.arctic-heating.com