Gasoline coming out of tail pipe in a 93

Old May 13th 05, 10:48 PM
SlartiBartfast

Default Gasoline coming out of tail pipe in a 93

I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would
not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started
it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die
after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under
the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas?
Thanks in Advance

Old May 13th 05, 11:48 PM
John Riggs

It's fuel injected. Keep your foot off the gas when you start. It does
nothing but help you flood the engine. Just get in and turn the key.

oups.com...

Old May 14th 05, 01:03 AM
SlartiBartfast

Funny that is what I thought....the AAA guy that came to tow me
insisited that I floor it to get it started....not that it helped.

Old May 14th 05, 09:35 PM
Ulysses

"SlartiBartfast" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would
> not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started
> it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die
> after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under
> the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas?
> Thanks in Advance

You started it in the FIRST place (first try) with the pedal all the way
down, or only after it wouldn't start? It used to be that with carburated
engines if it was flooded you cranked it with the throttle wide open to try
to clear the cylinder. So the AAA guy said to do it with a fuel injected
engine?

Old May 14th 05, 11:40 PM
Ashton Crusher

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:35:34 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>"SlartiBartfast" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would
>> not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started
>> it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die
>> after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under
>> the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas?
>> Thanks in Advance

>You started it in the FIRST place (first try) with the pedal all the way
>down, or only after it wouldn't start? It used to be that with carburated
>engines if it was flooded you cranked it with the throttle wide open to try
>to clear the cylinder. So the AAA guy said to do it with a fuel injected
>engine?

And the AAA guy was correct. The computer programming on virtually
all modern FI cars is set to recognize a "engine not running, pedal
to the floor" condition as "engine flooded" and it will cut the
injection volume way down to allow you to start a flooded engine.
--
New service to compete with paypal
Get $25 pre-registration bonus by
Old May 15th 05, 07:23 PM
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:35:34 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> >"SlartiBartfast" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would
> >> not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started
> >> it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die
> >> after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under
> >> the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas?
> >> Thanks in Advance

> >You started it in the FIRST place (first try) with the pedal all the way
> >down, or only after it wouldn't start? It used to be that with

carburated
> >engines if it was flooded you cranked it with the throttle wide open to

try
> >to clear the cylinder. So the AAA guy said to do it with a fuel injected
> >engine?
> >>

> And the AAA guy was correct. The computer programming on virtually
> all modern FI cars is set to recognize a "engine not running, pedal
> to the floor" condition as "engine flooded" and it will cut the
> injection volume way down to allow you to start a flooded engine.

I learn something new every day on this NG.

Old May 16th 05, 12:43 AM
R&B

I believe it's a deeper issue than the position of the gas pedal. All
engines with fuel injection have mixture enrichining devices that operate
when the engine is cold. It is possible this is defective and emitting too
much fuel..
Ron

"SlartiBartfast" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would
> not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started
> it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die
> after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under
> the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas?
> Thanks in Advance

water in tail pipe dabrat Ford Explorer 3 April 12th 05 03:09 PM
electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 09:14 AM
pipe to pipe temp muffler fix (91 integra gs) o. phooey Honda 3 January 5th 05 03:13 PM
pipe to pipe temp muffler fix (91 integra gs) o. phooey Honda 0 January 3rd 05 11:49 PM