help 95 grand caravan starter dead?

Old September 14th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default help 95 grand caravan starter dead?

Hi,
My 1995 grand caravan starter is dead I THINK. I am not sure, i drove
the truck last night, was fine. Then went to go out this evening and it
would not start at all, no noise, lights/battery seem fine. then i
checked the connections and let the truck roll back few inches and now
it tries to start , but with only a clicking sound, it tries to engage
the fuel pump, but to now avail. how easy is it to replace the starter
and what tools do i need. if too hard, how much should it cost for a
repair shop to do it for me. Thanks Much, CR

Old September 14th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ColRadar

Yeah, except the lights stay strong and seem to be fine, so i dunno.
Maybe i will get a new battery 1st and see what happens.

Old September 14th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ColRadar

well, maybe it is the battery, i will take it to be checked after work
tomorrow, will see. I really dont want to spend alot of money right
now on it, but if it does need a starter i will get one, are they hard
to put in? never done that before, only solinoids and alternators.

Old September 14th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 13 Sep 2006 16:49:06 -0700, "ColRadar" > wrote:

>Yeah, except the lights stay strong and seem to be fine, so i dunno.
>Maybe i will get a new battery 1st and see what happens. <snip>

Sounds like a typical Nippondenso starter ailment to
me...bad/burned/dirty contacts in the solenoid. Don't waste money on
a new battery until you check this out.
Old September 15th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

The soloniod is mounted as part of the starter sounds like it is bad. Give
it a wack with a hammer (A small One) while trying to start it

Old September 16th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mac1833

its the starter

Old September 16th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bruce

I concur with the solenoid diagnosis. I just went through the same
thing with the ND starter on my '95 Eagle. It would click when you
keyed it (once per attempt) and not engage the starter. Sometimes it
would engage the starter, and then apparently the contact would break,
resulting in a short starter cycle and it wouldn't start.

Dismount the starter and open up the solenoid. There's nothing rocket
science about this. Two or three small screws and the cover comes off,
and you'll be looking at a plunger with a big head on it. On opposite
sides of the case there are two contacts that pass through the case.
The contacts wear from the electrical contact over the years. I went
to a local electrical rebuilder and bought the contacts for a buck a
piece. My starter hasn't misbehaved in several weeks now.

Old September 16th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 15 Sep 2006 18:57:17 -0700, "bruce" > wrote:

>I concur with the solenoid diagnosis. I just went through the same
>thing with the ND starter on my '95 Eagle. It would click when you
>keyed it (once per attempt) and not engage the starter. Sometimes it
>would engage the starter, and then apparently the contact would break,
>resulting in a short starter cycle and it wouldn't start.
>
>Dismount the starter and open up the solenoid. There's nothing rocket
>science about this. Two or three small screws and the cover comes off,
>and you'll be looking at a plunger with a big head on it. On opposite
>sides of the case there are two contacts that pass through the case.
>The contacts wear from the electrical contact over the years. I went
>to a local electrical rebuilder and bought the contacts for a buck a
>piece. My starter hasn't misbehaved in several weeks now. <snip>

This has been a continual problem, as I've said before, with
Nippondenso starters since the mid-1970s, when they first ripped off
Chrysler's patents to built their version. Now, oddly enough,
Chrysler's using the poseurs!
Old September 16th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan[_1_]

The same thing happened on my 1994 GC years back. It was the contacts.
I had the rebuilder do it for me including the re & re. The only thing
they did more than replacing the contacts was to put the plunger on a
lathe and resurface the contact surface of the plunger so that it was
smooth and shiny (not rough and pitted as it WAS).

After that my starter never failed. And I had plenty of warning that
it was happening, so I had it fixed before I got stranded.

Run on starter poorsoul Ford Explorer 3 June 18th 06 10:11 AM
Electrical Problem???? Starter doesn't turn - power windows are dead, etc.... Ben Martin Technology 4 April 20th 06 03:40 PM
Electrical Problem???? Starter won't tujrn, power windows are dead, etc. Ben Martin BMW 1 April 20th 06 01:09 AM
starter current draw? N8N Technology 13 September 27th 05 02:34 PM
74 Cutlass with starting problem Amanda Robin Antique cars 12 October 26th 04 02:46 AM