SUV fad passing?

Old January 24th 05, 04:33 PM
xnappo

Default SUV fad passing?

> Uhhh . . . buyers STILL don't want minivans. The SUV is being

replaced by
> Dodge Magnum and various crossover vehicles, none of which have
> significantly better gas mileage. -Dave

Ford Expedition gets 14 City and 18.5 Highway.

Ford Freestyle gets 20 City and 27 Highway.
To me, that is pretty significant.

xnappo

Old January 24th 05, 05:30 PM
C. E. White

xnappo wrote:

> > Uhhh . . . buyers STILL don't want minivans. The SUV is being

> replaced by
> > Dodge Magnum and various crossover vehicles, none of which have
> > significantly better gas mileage. -Dave

> Ford Expedition gets 14 City and 18.5 Highway.

I wish my Expedition would get 18.5 mpg on the highway, more
like 16 at Interstate speeds. It does however do the 14 mpg
City.

> Ford Freestyle gets 20 City and 27 Highway.
> To me, that is pretty significant.

The Freestyle's maximum towing capacityis 2000 lb. The
Expedition's maximum towing capacity is 8900 lb. Now that is
very significant as well. I am not trashing the Freestlye
(my Father just bought one), but different folks have
different preceived needs.

Regards,

Ed White
Old January 25th 05, 12:09 AM
magnulus

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> The Freestyle's maximum towing capacityis 2000 lb. The
> Expedition's maximum towing capacity is 8900 lb. Now that is
> very significant as well. I am not trashing the Freestlye
> (my Father just bought one), but different folks have
> different preceived needs.

99 percent of the folks I see driving SUV's are towing- nothing.

The only real solution, short of higher gas taxes/prices, to the SUV
problem is to put a sales tax on all vehicles based on mileage- starting
around 50mpg and increasing the taxation as the fuel economy gets lower and
the pollution and CO2 gets higher. Give deductions/credits to small
businesses and farmers if you must, but everybody should be on an equal
playing field.

If you really need a pickup to tow your toy boat around, pay the tax.
There's taxes on all kinds of other activities out there, like smoking,
drinking, etc. Why not on poisoning the planet?

Old January 26th 05, 01:02 AM
Larry Bud

xnappo wrote:

> > Uhhh . . . buyers STILL don't want minivans. The SUV is being

> replaced by
> > Dodge Magnum and various crossover vehicles, none of which have
> > significantly better gas mileage. -Dave

> Ford Expedition gets 14 City and 18.5 Highway.
>
> Ford Freestyle gets 20 City and 27 Highway.
> To me, that is pretty significant.

10,000 miles per year is about 170 gallons more when you compare 18.5
to 27 mpg... Not exactly a deal breaker.. about 6 bucks a week.

Old January 26th 05, 01:03 AM
Larry Bud

magnulus wrote:
> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
> > The Freestyle's maximum towing capacityis 2000 lb. The
> > Expedition's maximum towing capacity is 8900 lb. Now that is
> > very significant as well. I am not trashing the Freestlye
> > (my Father just bought one), but different folks have
> > different preceived needs.

> 99 percent of the folks I see driving SUV's are towing- nothing.
>
> The only real solution, short of higher gas taxes/prices, to the

SUV
> problem is to put a sales tax on all vehicles based on mileage-

They do, it's called the gas tax.

Since when is "need" a requirement for spending your own money freely,
comrade?

Old January 26th 05, 02:45 AM
magnulus

"Larry Bud" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> They do, it's called the gas tax.
>
> Since when is "need" a requirement for spending your own money freely,
> comrade?

Gas guzzling cars put money in the hands of terrorists and contributes to
global warming. The State has as much right to combat fuel inefficiency as
it does to keep cigarettes out of the hands of kids.

Old January 27th 05, 01:49 AM
Masospaghetti

Larry Bud wrote:
> xnappo wrote:
>
>>>Uhhh . . . buyers STILL don't want minivans. The SUV is being

>>replaced by
>>
>>>Dodge Magnum and various crossover vehicles, none of which have
>>>significantly better gas mileage. -Dave

>>Ford Expedition gets 14 City and 18.5 Highway.
>>
>>Ford Freestyle gets 20 City and 27 Highway.
>>To me, that is pretty significant.

> 10,000 miles per year is about 170 gallons more when you compare 18.5
> to 27 mpg... Not exactly a deal breaker.. about 6 bucks a week.

That's still about $350 a year, which may not be significant to some
people but it is to others, not to mentioned increased pollution and
reduced safety for all other vehicles on the road.
Old January 27th 05, 03:41 AM
Generic

"Masospaghetti" > wrote in message

> >>Ford Expedition gets 14 City and 18.5 Highway.
> >>
> >>Ford Freestyle gets 20 City and 27 Highway.
> >>To me, that is pretty significant.

> > 10,000 miles per year is about 170 gallons more when you compare 18.5
> > to 27 mpg... Not exactly a deal breaker.. about 6 bucks a week.

> That's still about $350 a year, which may not be significant to some
> people but it is to others, not to mentioned increased pollution and
> reduced safety for all other vehicles on the road.

Multiply by 35,000,000 people who reason exactly the same way as the OP.

-John

Passing driver that pulled over & slowed down Larry Scholnick Driving 22 January 9th 05 03:09 AM
Dear Tard Dave Head Driving 25 December 24th 04 11:37 AM
Shoulder passing by slowpoke Alexander Rogge Driving 48 December 10th 04 06:06 PM