96 cherokee coolant leak

Old August 5th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
gcdenis

Default 96 cherokee coolant leak

i went outside today and my jeep had leaked all of its coolant. a friend
said that it was probably the freezer valves. how much does that usually
cost to fix and how long?

Old August 5th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

gcdenis wrote:
> i went outside today and my jeep had leaked all of its coolant. a
> friend said that it was probably the freezer valves. how much does
> that usually cost to fix and how long?

...freezer valves?..

If your friend is talking about the freezeplugs or casting plugs
then that is possible but highly unlikely.

It is more likely the hoses are old.
Look around the engine, under the engine, and check
the hoses that lead to the heater core (run back along
the passenger side of the valve cover) These can crack
at the pump.

Is the radiator compleatly empty?
You will probably have to fill it up and run the engine
to find where the coolant went.

Also wash down the coolant from the street/driveway. It is
toxic to animals.

--
DougW

Old August 6th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Out here where it doesn't freeze they're called core plugs. And
those that know how an engine block is cast:
http://www.stevepdesign.demon.co.uk/...ore%20assy.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 6th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
gcdenis

Hey DougW
I got under my jeep this morning to see if i could find where it was
leaking from. i opened the radiator cap and there was coolant there. there
are 2 spots on the ground right below the radiator. the biggest spot near
the trans. seems to have "rode a rail" from the front and dripped back
there. even though i've seen the 2 spots under the radiator, i can't find
where it is coming from. any suggestions from these findings?
thanks!

Old August 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

gcdenis wrote:
> Hey DougW
> I got under my jeep this morning to see if i could find where it was
> leaking from. i opened the radiator cap and there was coolant there.
> there are 2 spots on the ground right below the radiator. the biggest
> spot near the trans. seems to have "rode a rail" from the front and
> dripped back there. even though i've seen the 2 spots under the
> radiator, i can't find where it is coming from. any suggestions from
> these findings?

Sure it's your Jeep that left the antifreeze?

Take some paper towel and wipe dry the area around
the radiator cap, upper and lower hoses (where they attach),
the bottom face of the water pump housing (behind the fan),
and the overflow bottle.

Check the upper coolant overflow hose for cracks and
the overflow bottle to make sure it's at the full mark.

Thing about coolant is it's very hard to determine where
it came from until there is a lot of it. A tiny pinhole
can spray coolant across the engine compartment or a worn
pump bushing can cause leaks from the weep hole that's
under the pumps driveshaft.

Your going to have to run the engine and feel around for
leaks just watch the fan (bit myself too many times). You
might not get a leak till the system is hot and pressurized
so if there are no leaks just idling, take the jeep for a
short 4 mile run and then check again.

When the system is hot and under pressure, take a close look
at all the hoses where they attach. You looking for swelling/
balooning and soft spots. Fairly easy to see, it looks like
one of those clown baloons partially filled. I had the return
hose to my heater core do that and it could only be seen with
the engine hot.

--
DougW

Old August 6th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton[_1_]

Your XJ is a decade old and has reached the design life of the radiator,
like mine did last month.

"Freeze plugs" are a thing commonly blamed by those who don't know what
one does or looks like. My money would be on the water pump, hoses and
radiator, in that order.

Old August 6th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Red Jeep

It sounds like the system is leaking when under pressure (running or
still warm).

One low-tech method is to wrap the hoses in paper towels (when cool) and
tape them on. The leaker will soak the hose.

You could also try an ultraviolet dye.

"gcdenis" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

Old August 6th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Does the Cherokee also have the plastic tanks like the Grand or does it
still have a real radiator? If the plastic, that would be the first
place I'd look. Hard to see unless under a bit of pressure or you can
spot the liquie.

Red Jeep proclaimed:

Old August 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

It's a Jeep thing, it's supposed to mark it's territory.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> I thought that is what the oil leaks were for...

That's Harleys.