OT buying first car

Old May 1st 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default OT buying first car

Hello,

I haven't been able to find a more appropriate group for this question. I
want to buy my first car but before I do, I want to use process of
elimination to find the car that is right for me. I'm not looking to buy a
new car. I only have $2000 in cash and $1000 on a credit card. Before I
start the process of looking where to buy the car, I need to know what
car(s) I'm looking for. Could someone recommend either a website or a book
that could start me out on the process?

Michael

Old May 2nd 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

mike, first off, before you narrow the suggestions / search down, you
should possibly state; how much you want to spend, how the car will be
used, and if you have access to a large market area.

In the meantime you might check the internet for starters, go to the
search feature and type in the name, model number of the car - you'd
like to have.

there is such service available to list the available cars / price in
your area, when zip code is provided. dealers will bid for your
business.

the 3000 bucks should be a sufficient down payment if other criterion is
met. you might seek financing of your own doing before contracting to
buy, it is at times - cheaper that way, credit union, your bank, etc...

some new / less hep buyers like the web purchasing arrangement.

buying a program car can be less money, can be bought right by an
experienced buyer, and are serviceable.

again, state your wants using the search method, and let the sellers
come to you, get help if needed from an experienced person.

mho
vƒe

Old May 3rd 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

You should be able to get a decent first car for under $2k if you shop
carefully and bide your time waiting for a good one. I've bought some
like that -- as it happens, all were cars known to me and bought from
private individuals.

The thirty-forty bucks it takes to have a car checked out by a mechanic
with no connection to either side of the deal is money well spent.
You're paying for objectivity as well as expertise -- by the time you
get that far, plainly you want the vehicle. If the resulting decision
is "go," the report will also give you something of a roadmap to the
maintenance that is in your future.

Meanwhile, check out the book described on
http://www.dontgettakeneverytime.com/

not to mention
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menu-auto.htm

Best of luck,