Freeze 12 in Chevy Blazer

Old May 26th 04, 01:45 AM
Spiderman

Default Freeze 12 in Chevy Blazer

The air conditioning on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer just stopped working. I can
hear the compressor kick in but the air blows out warm. I'm thinking of
adding in Freeze 12 coolant since it's closer to R12 and less work to
retrofit than R134. Has anyone tried this?

Old May 26th 04, 02:38 AM
Steve B.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:45:56 -0400, "Spiderman"
> wrote:

>The air conditioning on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer just stopped working. I can
>hear the compressor kick in but the air blows out warm. I'm thinking of
>adding in Freeze 12 coolant since it's closer to R12 and less work to
>retrofit than R134. Has anyone tried this?

You should not mix refrigerants. If you want to change types the
system needs to be evacuated and then recharged with the correct
amount of new refrigerant.

In this case if the compressor still clicks on but you get no cooling
it could very easily be any number of problems. I would have a pro
check out the system and tell you whats wrong even if you decide not
to have them fix it.

You can kill your compressor pretty easy and a new one is going to
cost you around $450 just for the part. Better to have a good
diagnosis before you try anything.

Steve B.
Old May 26th 04, 02:38 AM
Steve B.

Old May 26th 04, 03:34 AM
\Doc\

"Steve B." <this is not my real [email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:45:56 -0400, "Spiderman"
> > wrote:
>
> >The air conditioning on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer just stopped working. I

can
> >hear the compressor kick in but the air blows out warm. I'm thinking of
> >adding in Freeze 12 coolant since it's closer to R12 and less work to
> >retrofit than R134. Has anyone tried this?
> >

> You should not mix refrigerants. If you want to change types the
> system needs to be evacuated and then recharged with the correct
> amount of new refrigerant.
>
> In this case if the compressor still clicks on but you get no cooling
> it could very easily be any number of problems. I would have a pro
> check out the system and tell you whats wrong even if you decide not
> to have them fix it.
>
> You can kill your compressor pretty easy and a new one is going to
> cost you around $450 just for the part. Better to have a good
> diagnosis before you try anything.
>
> Steve B.

New compressors are half that amount, remans even less.

Doc

Old May 26th 04, 03:34 AM
\Doc\

Old May 26th 04, 03:43 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 25 May 2004, "Doc" wrote:

> > You can kill your compressor pretty easy and a new one is going to
> > cost you around $450 just for the part. Better to have a good
> > diagnosis before you try anything.

> New compressors are half that amount

Wow, you know the prices for every compressor for every application, eh?
You should work in a parts store.

> remans even less.

Sure, if you don't mind replacing a compressor every 18 months.

DS
Old May 26th 04, 03:43 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old May 26th 04, 03:46 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Spiderman wrote:

> The air conditioning on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer just stopped working. I
> can hear the compressor kick in but the air blows out warm. I'm thinking
> of adding in Freeze 12 coolant since it's closer to R12 and less work to
> retrofit than R134. Has anyone tried this?

This is not an appropriate or legal thing to do. Mixing refrigerants,
aside from being illegal, is an excellent way to cause extensive and
expensive damage to your system, and service shops charge extra to service
systems that have been contaminated with mixed and/or nonstandard
refrigerants. Standard refrigerants are R12 and R134a, anything else is
nonstandard. Freeze-12 is NOT "closer to R12" chemically, not at all.

Find and fix the problem - likely a bad compressor shaft seal on that
model.

DS
Old May 26th 04, 03:46 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old May 26th 04, 03:52 AM
Steve B.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:34:32 -0400, "\"Doc\"" > wrote:

>New compressors are half that amount, remans even less.
>
>Doc

Remans are crap in general. The compressor in his vehicle does not
rebuild well at all... Generally one of these rebuilt last one season
if you are lucky.

The factory part was over $400 when I bought one two years ago.
Prices could be a little higher or lower but I would expect it to
still be in the same range.

Steve B.