How to have zero dampening/centering force on Logitech Momo?

Old January 9th 05, 10:07 PM
Destroy

Default How to have zero dampening/centering force on Logitech Momo?

Got a brand new black Logitech Momo Force(non-Formula version) for Xmas.
The wheel is great but I dislike how hard it is to turn during most
races or even when its unpowered. It has this motor or gear drag feeling.

When I enter the Game Controllers/ Logitech Momo Racing Properties
window the wheel all of a sudden is VERY easy to turn i.e. no centering
or damping forces applied to the wheel at all. Feels kinda like the
motor gears get disengaged from the steering wheel almost. But once I
click out of that window, the motor drag 'engages' again.

How can I get this very easy to turn effect while still maintaining the
FF effects in racing games? thanks

Old January 9th 05, 10:19 PM
Schooner

Leave FFB on but set it to 0%

Old January 9th 05, 10:23 PM
Alan Le

> How can I get this very easy to turn effect while still maintaining the
> FF effects in racing games? thanks

First thing is to make sure the centering spring is disabled. Past that, it
depends on the game, and remember that 100% in game isn't always the best.
I now run NR2003 down around 50% with DFP and ~70% (I think) in F1C and
mods. I also like to turn the spring strength down in Control Panel.
According to MS, a spring force should be a constant force independent of
user input. Seems to me a centering force would fall into that category.
Damping forces, again according to MS, are dependent upon the direction and
speed of user input (e.g. the faster you move the wheel, the more it
"resists").

Alan

Old January 10th 05, 12:26 AM
Malc

"Destroy" > wrote in message

> How can I get this very easy to turn effect while still maintaining the
> FF effects in racing games? thanks

Control Panel, Gaming Options, choose the controller, click the settings
button & untick the centre force box, or just turn the centre force to zero.

Malc.

Old January 10th 05, 01:22 AM
Destroy

Gonna reply to my own post. So far none of the 3 suggestions has solved
my question.

I don't think most understand whats happening. Please reread my original
post. When the turning resistance gets turned off in that one Game
Controllers window, its VERY easy to turn. Way easier than when the unit
is powered off even. Like I said, its easy turning like the motors get
disengaged from the wheel.

I also get this 'very easy turning' of my wheel in the 'assign input
menu' within RBR. But when playing the game the wheel gets stiff to turn
again albeit with proper forces happening.

Old January 10th 05, 01:55 AM
Alan Le

> I don't think most understand whats happening. Please reread my original
> post. When the turning resistance gets turned off in that one Game
> Controllers window, its VERY easy to turn. Way easier than when the unit
> is powered off even. Like I said, its easy turning like the motors get
> disengaged from the wheel.
>
> I also get this 'very easy turning' of my wheel in the 'assign input
> menu' within RBR. But when playing the game the wheel gets stiff to turn
> again albeit with proper forces happening.

What you're feeling in Control Panel is the motor being completely
disengaged. This should be the same as when you pull the power. Basically,
in Control Panel, there isn't a centering force. Games, however, simulate
the centering forces that you'd get in an actual vehicle. The only games
that can give this to you with normal setups AFAIK are those based on the
ISI engine, but you have to edit the PLR file. In NR2003, LFS, and maybe
RBR, you can dial the caster down to 0, and the feeling should be pretty
similar. Try cranking the caster waaaaay up (especially in LFS). The
difference should be pretty clear. Basically, what you're looking for would
be like WAY overboosted power steering which isn't what games are trying to
simulate. The only other thing you can try is to set the spring strength in
Control Panel to 0%. Otherwise, I guess you're out of luck.

Alan

Old January 10th 05, 08:41 AM
Malc

"Destroy" > wrote in message
news
> I don't think most understand whats happening. Please reread my original
> post. When the turning resistance gets turned off in that one Game
> Controllers window, its VERY easy to turn. Way easier than when the unit
> is powered off even. Like I said, its easy turning like the motors get
> disengaged from the wheel.

As Alan Le says, this is normal, my red Momo does this too. There is no
clutch or other disengaging mechanism, you are just feeling the FF motor
assisting the wheel rather than resisting it. If you turn the wheel quickly
you can 'catch it out' and you'll feel the motor resisting your input
slightly.

> I also get this 'very easy turning' of my wheel in the 'assign input
> menu' within RBR. But when playing the game the wheel gets stiff to turn
> again albeit with proper forces happening.

In the same place as I described before, you can set the maximum force
strength (the top slider). Set it to around 75% if you feel 100% is too
strong, or whatever you prefer. The second & third sliders have a more
subtle effect, personally I set them to around 15-20% on mine since I prefer
the FF to tell me what's going on without interfering with my steering
input.

Malc.