air intake kit

Old July 23rd 05, 09:51 AM
Abbas

Default air intake kit

I'm thinking of buying air intake system for my mustang gt 95. I was
looking at eBay and price ranges were from $60 to $200+.

What could be the differences in these sets? Or what is a good system?

Thanks

Abbas

Old July 24th 05, 12:59 AM
Just A Guyİ

Well, depends on what you're looking for.....throttle response,
acceleration, engine dress-up..... I recently switched my chrome-style
"no-name" eBay CAI over to a K&N FIPK air intake and felt an immediate
difference in power (I'm driving an '04 BTW). The black tubing of the K&N
system isn't as "pretty" in regards to appearance, but it more than makes up
for it with its improved throttle response and faster acceleration
(especially off the line) effects. If you're looking for a few extra horses
and engine appearance points, go for a cheap, chrome "no-name" CAI. If you
actually want to 'feel' those extra horses, go with something a little more
pricey...the K&N, for example.....or design a hybrid (buy the cheap,
"no-name" CAI and a separate K&N filter to attach to it....that way you'll
get both the style and performance without putting too big a dent in that
bank account (and you'll also have the cold-air induction from the
fenderwell, something the K&N FIPK lacks). But IMO, the K&N FIPK delivers
what I'm looking for both in performance and styling, but comes at a
slightly higher price on eBay (but still at about half the cost that your
local auto parts store offers it).

The bottom line is that it's up to you. Only you know what you like. Good
luck and have fun with your mods.

Just A Guy

oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 04:04 AM
Abbas

Thanks Just a Guy,

Performance is the reason. Got good deal on this automatic so bought it
but I really miss the throttle response as compare to stick shift.

Looks like will go for FIPK. How did you cover the fender-wall-side
heat protection?

Any online/offline shop for good auto parts rates?

Thanks

Abbas

Old July 24th 05, 04:39 AM
Abbas

One more question. I was looking at K&N site and there were systems
like

FIPK
77 Series
Typhoon
AirCharger
57i Induction kit

These all are air intake systems, just that one is better than other?
Or different? All are available for my car.

I just want to improve the throttle response :-)

Thanks

Abbas

Old July 24th 05, 06:00 AM
Richard

Want throttle response, install a good shift kit. Want torque, install 4:10
gears. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 09:12 AM
Abbas

A learning experience :-)

Will look for these two at web that why they do :-)

Pros/Cons for the options "air intake", mass airflow sensor, shift kit?

What I want is gain performance.with as few mods as possible.

Thanks

Old July 24th 05, 06:41 PM
Just A Guyİ

Abbas,

I'm not overly educated on K&N intakes, so my opinion is just a suggestion.
I went for the FIPK b/c it looked like the best bang for the buck (and it
was the only type offered on eBay.....that I could find anyway!). If K&N
offers a cold air induction (CAI) kit (i.e., the filter is placed outside of
the engine bay in the fenderwell to maximize cold air 'suction'), go with
that one as opposed to the single tube-based 'warm' air intake. Forced cold
air is slightly more effective and efficient than forced warm air.

As to the best of my knowledge, most of these K&N kits come equipped with a
heat shield to minimize the amount of engine-heated air that enters through
the filter. As for plugging the fenderwell hole, there's no need. Keeping
it open may provide a small source of cold air which is beneficial anyway.
The only potential problem is water that is splashed onto the filter from
the fenderwell which gets sucked into the engine....but depending on who you
talk to, moisture can actually help, not harm, your engine.....and your
fenderwell should be well-sealed anyway, so there's little to worry about
(after all, the stock air induction system received its air from here,
right?)

Anyway, the FIPK system works well for me, but if one of those other systems
on your list offers cold air induction, I'd go for that one (the cheapest
one of course....they're all essentially the same!).

BTW, gears and shift kits will give you that nice jolt off the line, so
that's definitely a good move as well.....just be cautious of both the
product price and potentially enormous installation costs if you're not a
do-it-yourself mechanic! But want to reinforce that inake?.......replace
those stock mufflers with a set of magnaflows. You'll get increased power
and a nice 'roar.' Or if you're looking for more moderately easy bolt-ons,
try an underdrive pulley replacement kit.

Anyway, good luck with it and have fun!

Just A Guy

oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 06:53 PM
Just A Guyİ

Sorry, didn't see the other question.....

I like driverfx.ca (or .com)....good online parts store for just about
anything......beware, as it can be pricey!

Keep checking the posts on this group....a lot of good advice and store
recommendations from very knowledgable people occur here frequently.

Just A Guy

oups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 10:35 PM
Defiant

now mine is a 01 Gt Auto and your is a 95 but I think the systems are
similar
I bought the C&L 80mm intake system off EBay and am very happy with it the
throttle response was immediate and very noticeable.
the one I bought was pricey even on eBay but the one I had on the car when I
bought it was a cheap chrome knock off piece of junk which didn't work very
well and leaked some.
I got the Filter,MAF and intake pipe and the Filter cover to keep the heat
out of the intake tract.
here's mine off of C&L's web site.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/80mm_96-01.html
10699P is mine

here's some reading for you on several different systems from C&L.
http://www.cnlperformance.com/inlet.html

Defiant
oups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 07:38 PM
Abbas

Thank you very much all of you guys. Really helped and learnt :-)
Thanks
Abbas