A very cool body off thread

Old June 21st 05, 03:01 AM
Remco

Default A very cool body off thread

Hey all.

Since I am doing a body off, I'm always looking for pages of how other
people are doing it and suspect I am not the only one.

Came across the following thread:
http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/print...3&page=1&pp=40

It is pretty cool in that it reads like a blog with others also
commenting as work progresses. A lot got done in a relatively short
time with just decent tools, sweat and loads of determination. If I had
a hat, it'd be off.

Remco

Old June 21st 05, 10:14 AM
tricky

Remco wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> Since I am doing a body off, I'm always looking for pages of how other
> people are doing it and suspect I am not the only one.
>
> Came across the following thread:
> http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/print...3&page=1&pp=40
>
> It is pretty cool in that it reads like a blog with others also
> commenting as work progresses. A lot got done in a relatively short
> time with just decent tools, sweat and loads of determination. If I had
> a hat, it'd be off.
>
> Remco

Yes indeed - very cool. Inspirational too ! I haven't touched mine for
a while. Full frame head replacement next, a bit daunting ! But I am
sure it will be ok once I bite the bullet.

How are you getting on with yours ?

Thanks for the link !

Rich
Old June 21st 05, 02:47 PM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> Remco wrote:
>
> > Hey all.
> >
> > Since I am doing a body off, I'm always looking for pages of how other
> > people are doing it and suspect I am not the only one.
> >
> > Came across the following thread:
> > http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/print...3&page=1&pp=40
> >
> > It is pretty cool in that it reads like a blog with others also
> > commenting as work progresses. A lot got done in a relatively short
> > time with just decent tools, sweat and loads of determination. If I had
> > a hat, it'd be off.
> >
> > Remco
> >

> Yes indeed - very cool. Inspirational too ! I haven't touched mine for
> a while. Full frame head replacement next, a bit daunting ! But I am
> sure it will be ok once I bite the bullet.
>
> How are you getting on with yours ?
>
> Thanks for the link !
>
> Rich

Hey Rich

Yeah, that's what I thought too. He did a beautiful job, didn't he? I
can't get over how fast he's done all this work - he's going for his
Master's and, from what I remember from those days, one has very little
spare time.

I've loosened all the bolts. It took gallons of Croil and my impact
hammer set to low because I didn't want to snap anything. So the body
is free.

Before I totally lift the body off, I'll take the engine out. Initially
I thought it was easier to leave it in, but have to lift the body too
high for me to feel comfortable with it. Taking the engine out is not a
big deal anyway.

I am a strong believer in building fixtures, so would like to build a
simple wood contraption so I can lift/lower the body back onto the
frame easily. I suspect it will make alignment of the pan and channels
easier.
Also, I now have two bugs that need the same work done, so, whatever
fixture is used, it will be used more than once.
Was thinking of building a wood frame and using "come alongs" so one
can slowly lower the body back on the frame. Of course, this fixutre
will need to be on casters (told you about my love affair with casters,
didn't I so it can be rolled around.

Remco

Old June 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
tricky

Just spent another hour plus going through the thread - just amazing how
fast he is working !

Yes - Jigs !

I got to weld somthing up to make sure the new frame head ends up in the
correct alignment !

Just been busy ! Moved into this house last year, 200 yr old cottage,
1/4 acre field that I am slowly turning into a garden.

Got my new bike to play with too :-) . Put a new chain/sprockets and a
trye on this week.

Just about to order the steel work started for my boat hull......

But that thread did make me want to get onto the beetle again !

Rich

Old June 22nd 05, 02:40 PM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> Just spent another hour plus going through the thread - just amazing how
> fast he is working !
>
> Yes - Jigs !
>
> I got to weld somthing up to make sure the new frame head ends up in the
> correct alignment !
>
> Just been busy ! Moved into this house last year, 200 yr old cottage,
> 1/4 acre field that I am slowly turning into a garden.
>
> Got my new bike to play with too :-) . Put a new chain/sprockets and a
> trye on this week.
>
> Just about to order the steel work started for my boat hull......
>
> But that thread did make me want to get onto the beetle again !
>
> Rich

I know what you mean: stuff always keeping us busy, but that's the way
it is supposed to be, right?
It was very cool to see this guy get busy on his bug and it certainly
inspired me as well. Good to see there are more nutty people like us
out there, not being scared off by some body rot, right

Weren't you the one that was thinking of getting one of those live-on
boats?
Are you building one?

Old June 22nd 05, 09:50 PM
tricky

> Weren't you the one that was thinking of getting one of those live-on
> boats?
> Are you building one?

Yep :-)

Ordered the steelwork (hull 57 ft) and engine (35Hp Diesel) today - 25k GBP
Due for delivery around xmas time.

Will be about 10 to 15k to fit it out. (and lots of time ! )

I hope this deadline will get me moving on the beetle .

Rich

lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
Stripped Thread Help Tony Technology 3 December 14th 04 09:16 AM
Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 05:31 AM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM