Ignition Timing

Old April 6th 05, 12:14 AM
mbjj

Default Ignition Timing

I just replaced an engine in my '94 Metro 1.0L 5 speed. I want to set the
timing to make sure it's right. The module on the car says it needs to be 5
degrees BTDC with the "check connector short circuited". It has a picture
of how to short it. My question is: What is the "check connector" and where
is it located. The picture shows it as a 6 segment connector with segments
4 and 5 shorted. [1] [2] [3]
[4] [5] [6]
|___|

That's about as good as I can do on the drawing. I have a basic '94 metrto
hatchback. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated. By the way,
the engine runs and idles ok, I just want to see where it's timed at.

Old April 6th 05, 12:37 AM
Joe S

mbjj wrote:
> I just replaced an engine in my '94 Metro 1.0L 5 speed. I want to set

the
> timing to make sure it's right. The module on the car says it needs

to be 5
> degrees BTDC with the "check connector short circuited". It has a

picture
> of how to short it. My question is: What is the "check connector" and

where
> is it located. The picture shows it as a 6 segment connector with

segments
> 4 and 5 shorted. [1] [2] [3]
> [4] [5] [6]
> |___|
>
> That's about as good as I can do on the drawing. I have a basic '94

metrto
> hatchback. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated. By the

way,
> the engine runs and idles ok, I just want to see where it's timed at.

Google Groups is your friend...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9c4c03a5da3d20

Joe

Old April 6th 05, 03:04 AM
mbjj

Joe S wrote:

> mbjj wrote:
>> I just replaced an engine in my '94 Metro 1.0L 5 speed. I want to set

> the
>> timing to make sure it's right. The module on the car says it needs

> to be 5
>> degrees BTDC with the "check connector short circuited". It has a

> picture
>> of how to short it. My question is: What is the "check connector" and

> where
>> is it located. The picture shows it as a 6 segment connector with

> segments
>> 4 and 5 shorted. [1] [2] [3]
>> [4] [5] [6]
>> |___|
>>
>> That's about as good as I can do on the drawing. I have a basic '94

> metrto
>> hatchback. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated. By the

> way,
>> the engine runs and idles ok, I just want to see where it's timed at.

> Google Groups is your friend...
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ech/browse_frm

thread/47d973cf1182b5f4/d49c4c03a5da3d20?q=geo+metro+timin
+connector&rnum=3#d49c4c03a5da3d20

> Joe

Thanks for the website. I read what they had to say and then checked the
car. My geo is a '94 and has nothing at the LH strut tower in the way of a
data connector. There is no connector behind the right one either. Is it
under the dash in the hodgepodge of relays and fuses by any chance? I
didn't see anything that would indicate that it may be there when I looked.
Old April 6th 05, 03:50 AM
William R. Watt

a lot of cars have the computer under the dash on the driver's side so
that is where the wiring enters the engine compartment. on my '89 Festiva
both the error code connector and the timing ground connector are in the
engine compartment on the driver's side at the back near the firewall.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old April 6th 05, 09:11 AM
Joe S

mbjj wrote:
> Joe S wrote:
>

>>mbjj wrote:
>>
>>>I just replaced an engine in my '94 Metro 1.0L 5 speed. I want to set

>>the
>>
>>>timing to make sure it's right. The module on the car says it needs

>>to be 5
>>
>>>degrees BTDC with the "check connector short circuited". It has a

>>picture
>>
>>>of how to short it. My question is: What is the "check connector" and

>>where
>>
>>>is it located. The picture shows it as a 6 segment connector with

>>segments
>>
>>>4 and 5 shorted. [1] [2] [3]
>>> [4] [5] [6]
>>> |___|
>>>
>>>That's about as good as I can do on the drawing. I have a basic '94

>>metrto
>>
>>>hatchback. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated. By the

>>way,
>>
>>>the engine runs and idles ok, I just want to see where it's timed at.

>>Google Groups is your friend...
>>
>>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ech/browse_frm

> thread/47d973cf1182b5f4/d49c4c03a5da3d20?q=geo+metro+timin
> +connector&rnum=3#d49c4c03a5da3d20
>

>>Joe

> Thanks for the website. I read what they had to say and then checked the
> car. My geo is a '94 and has nothing at the LH strut tower in the way of a
> data connector. There is no connector behind the right one either. Is it
> under the dash in the hodgepodge of relays and fuses by any chance? I
> didn't see anything that would indicate that it may be there when I looked.

Well, I don't know anything about the car. Did you try some other
searches that might get you better info?

Joe

--
Joe
Old April 6th 05, 01:25 PM

mjbb: call your local dealer and ask to look at their "components
locator" reference, usually in the parts department.

Old April 6th 05, 08:04 PM
mbjj

Thanks to all who responded. After a little research [to which you led me in
the right direction] I found the connector. It was behind the driver side
strut just as described. Mine had a rubberboot protector on it and it kind
of camoflauged itself behind the wiring harness. It was clean, it
disengaged the ECM and the timing was set without a problem. Thanks to all.
This group is knowledgeable.

mjacobs