93 Chrysler 3.8 Fuel Bar Pressure

Old February 9th 05, 02:21 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, ncs wrote:

> Thanks Bob and tdodge, based on everyone's tips and help, it looks like the
> injectors might be the problem.

Pick up a set of matched-flow replacement injectors from the "injector
guru", www.lindertech.com .

> So I think I can rule out the pump. The rail was replaced earlier in the
> spring because it sprung a leak.

Aside from actual fuel supply line leaks, the injectors are pretty much
the only leakdown point left!

Old February 9th 05, 02:22 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, ncs wrote:

> ok, thanks for the tip. Didn't want to take the plenum off and pull the
> rail, but if that's what it takes, I gotta do it. I was also thinking of
> putting a pressure gauge on the test port of the rail, note the
> pressure, leave it on overnight and then check it in the morning.

That works to tell you you're losing pressure (duh, you already know
that!), what you need to do is figure out *where*.

Old February 9th 05, 02:02 PM
ncs

thanks for the advice. I don't have any fuel line leaks. Also, this
problem began before the rail started leaking and before the fuel pump went
out. When I replaced the rail, I thought, 'oh this must be the problem',
when I had the pump replaced, again I thought, 'oh this must be the
problem'. Well neither fixed the problem, so your comment about the
injectors being the only component left, sounds about right.

thanks,
Nick

n.umich.edu...

Old February 9th 05, 03:36 PM
Bob Shuman

I've had best results with (Dupont?) Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner.
Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive.

Old February 10th 05, 03:22 AM
Bob Hewitt

Nick, As promised!! After the overnight checking of the psi on the
Fuel Bar it was down to "0". I gave it the 3 second 3 interval and then
cranked to a start. Pressure then came up to 50 psi. I watched it for
45 minutes and then it started to drop. It dropped fast and shortly was
at 10 psi. At this low pressure it still started with ease. I
purchased the best injector cleaner and we will see if that will have
any effect. I am still puzzled as to what might be the problem.
Bob

Old February 10th 05, 02:00 PM
ncs

Bob, based on other posts to this thread, it appears one (or more) injector
is leaking and relieving the pressure when the engine is off. They
suggested replacing the injector. Someone suggested pulling the rail and
wrapping a napkin or paper towel around the injectors overnight to see which
ones are damp with gasoline in the morning. I haven't got that far yet, but
plan on it. I also need to check out the price of a complete set of
injectors. Hate to replace one and have another go out in a few months.

Nick

Old February 10th 05, 02:54 PM
Bob Hewitt

Nick, I have never changed the fuel pump on ours, so I am inclined to
think it is the pump in the gas tank. Ron made a good point earlier.

Yours may be the injectors. Daniel suggested wrapping the injectors
with towels. He also made the comment:

>Pick up a set of matched-flow replacement
> injectors from the "injector guru",
> www.lindertech.com

The key words here are "Matched Flow". If I must replace the injectors
I will replace them all at the same time.

Nick, we could correspond directly by e-mail, but I feel the other guys
have been a help and maybe we can help others. Bob

Old February 11th 05, 12:01 AM
maxpower

If it were in the shop and had an emissions analyzer they would be able o
detect which one is bad by sniffing the runners of the intake
"ncs" > wrote in message ...
> I've got a 93 3.3 and am having the same problem, I think. With mine, I
> have to turn the key completely off and then back on 1 or 2 times and then
> it starts. Is that what you have to do also ?
>
> I've replaced both my fuel pump (went out on vacation) and fuel rail,

which
> included the pressure regulator (the rail sprung a leak).
>
> Is there any way to check the injectors other than pulling the rail and
> looking at each one ?
>
> thanks,
> Nick
>
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> .umich.edu...
> > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Bob Hewitt wrote:
> >
> >> Our 93 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave. has 150K miles. Runs great except
> >> starting first thing in the morning. Must give it the 1,2,3 then crank
> >> and it starts. Good for the rest of the day. What is the cause for

the
> >> loss in fuel pressure in the fuel bar??

> > Faulty fuel pump outlet check valve and/or faulty fuel pressure

regulator
> > and/or leaking injector(s).
> >
> >> How can this problem be solved??

If it were in the shop that had an emissions analyzer they would be able to
detect which one is bad by sniffing the runners of the intake, The excessive
hydrocarbons would fail it
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

> > Diagnosis and repair.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old February 11th 05, 01:26 AM
ncs

Bob;

I'll tell you when my fuel pump went there was no warning. It just quit on
I77 heading north just outside of Charlotte. Now maybe something in your
pump is bad that allows you to drive it without a problem, but is causing
your hard cold start problem. Someone mentioned a bad check valve. I think
you were going to try the injector cleaner to see if that might work. Let
us know. I'm checking prices on injectors.

thanks,
Nick

Old February 14th 05, 05:51 PM
Bob Hewitt

Nick, The car runs great!! The problem is only in the first start of
the day. We go through the 123 then crank and it is fine for the rest
of the day. It may sit for several hours, but start right off after
that initial start. Bob