1997 Passat stubles and whines

Old April 19th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1997 Passat stubles and whines

Hi all,

My 97 Passat VR6 is failing me! I have been hearing an increasing loud
whine from behind the drivers' side rear tire and now the car is
stumbling and acts like its fuel starved. Does this sound like a fuel
pump? Does anyone have a document for replacement? What else should I
do while I am in there? Filters?

As always any help is appreciated,

RickT

Old April 19th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

You are due for a fuel pump failure... however I suppose it is
possible that the noise is caused by a clogged filter that is making
the pump work harder. It is difficult to make an educated guess
because I do not know the type of pump that is used. I have hear that
it is two stages of pumping driven by a single motor. With some pump
types a drop in flow will cause the motor to speed up.

The pump and the filter are in different spots. The filter is
underneath the car near the tire. I think there is an access panel or
sheild that has to be removed. There is a steel band that holds the
filter to the car.

When I did my 1995 Passat VR6 filter, I had to cut the steel band and I
also cut the OEM clamps to remove the filter. You can use screw-type
clamps to put the new filter on IMHO and avoid the need for the special
tool used to tighten OEM clamps.

If the filter does not solve the problem then you may as well go ahead
and replace the pump as soon as possible. You should be able to find
more info about replacing the pump if you search this forum.

good luck!

Old April 20th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

doesn't the '97 also have that transfer pump in the tank? (2 fuel pumps)
If it does then I would look there first, along with changing the filter as
Mark indicates.
--
later,
dave

Old April 20th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Check the timing belt!

Old April 21st 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

There is no timing belt on a VR6!

However since you mentioned non-fuel related problems I will mention
that a common problem with the VR6 is the coil pack. The coil pack can
crack and this causes misfiring when the engine is cold and wet... or
hot and very wet. The symptoms the OP described do not exactly match a
bad coil pack.

Old April 21st 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Update:

Everyone wins! Except me, the coil pack is shorting, the fuel pump is
failing and who knows at this rate maybe the timing belt in my wife's
car will go! Thanks a bunch for all of the information, great help. I
dropped it off at a dealer.

Old April 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

you can fix the coil pack for $4 worth of JB weld epoxy. I did
this..approximately in 2002 and I still am running that coil pack (4
years later). (I did have to redo the epoxy once).

the dealer had charged me $600 to replace the coil pack in ~2000 and
this coil pack lasted no longer than the 4$ repair.

Do not let your dealer charge you more than .5 hour for the coil pack
at least. This is an easy job to do.

Not so bad to let the dealer do your fuel pump because of the safety
risk you take doing that job yourself.

Old April 22nd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I don't know what the hell happened here. This guy has whining noise in his
rear tire area, and fuel starvation, with a VR6. Clearly a fuel pump or
blockage issue. Then we get its a coil pack and timing belt in his wife's
car . And fix it with JBWeld. enuf said...
oups.com...

Old April 24th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I use that quick set epoxy to fix them. I usually perform a wet test before
the fix and after the fix (spray the coil pack or ign. transformer with
water).
Last year I did this "cheap" fix to a 2001 GTi ign. transformer that was
causing the Engine light to come on.
I had missed a spot that I had to recoat but so far all is good and the car
was able to pass emissions testing!

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

oups.com...

Old April 24th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The wifes car part was just an attempt at humor by me..

The fuel pump is bad, I am waiting for the part to come in, also the
coil pack in the car is faulty. Some fine folks here were offiering me
some free advice for a cheap fix on the coil pack...and it is
appreciated.

RickT