service advisor in Canada

Old December 13th 04, 11:12 PM
Jack

Default service advisor in Canada

Can anyone give me a basic idea of how much money does an average
service advisor makes in Canada ? Do they work for a fixed salary or
they earn commission according to the service they are able to sell
?Just need to have some ideas because my son who just graduate from
high school is considering taking course in a local community college
to become a service advisor and he ask me for opinion. Apart from
having to work on Saturdays is it basically a good job to have ?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Old December 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Steve Bigelow

"Jack" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can anyone give me a basic idea of how much money does an average
> service advisor makes in Canada ? Do they work for a fixed salary or
> they earn commission according to the service they are able to sell
> ?Just need to have some ideas because my son who just graduate from
> high school is considering taking course in a local community college
> to become a service advisor and he ask me for opinion. Apart from
> having to work on Saturdays is it basically a good job to have ?
> Thanks in advance for any input.

Tell him to go talk to some service advisors.

Old December 14th 04, 04:06 AM
Buck Frobisher

"Jack" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can anyone give me a basic idea of how much money does an average
> service advisor makes in Canada ? Do they work for a fixed salary or
> they earn commission according to the service they are able to sell
> ?Just need to have some ideas because my son who just graduate from
> high school is considering taking course in a local community college
> to become a service advisor and he ask me for opinion. Apart from
> having to work on Saturdays is it basically a good job to have ?
> Thanks in advance for any input.

I would ask the guidance counsellor's office at the community college for
that information. They have access to ways of finding out, and might be of
some help.

Old December 14th 04, 04:25 PM
Ray O

"Jack" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can anyone give me a basic idea of how much money does an average
> service advisor makes in Canada ? Do they work for a fixed salary or
> they earn commission according to the service they are able to sell
> ?Just need to have some ideas because my son who just graduate from
> high school is considering taking course in a local community college
> to become a service advisor and he ask me for opinion. Apart from
> having to work on Saturdays is it basically a good job to have ?
> Thanks in advance for any input.

I am anot familiar with Canada, but in the U.S., there is a very wide range
of pay for service advisors. While living in New England, I visited 50 or
so dealers, both in metropolitan areas, small towns, and in rural areas. I
know this is old info, but in the 1980's, pay ranged from around $25,000
U.S. to over $100,000 U.S., with $30k to $45k being common. You can
translate that to today's dollars and see that you can make a decent living
as a service advisor but you are unlikely to be in the same tax bracket as
many doctors & lawyers. Some were paid on an hourly basis, some salary plus
commission, and some straight salary. A lot had incentives for higher
customer satisfaction scores and gross profit. The larger the shop, the
higher the pay tends to be. Advisors with good people skills who only sold
work that was actually needed earned the customers' trust and were more
successfull at selling mainenance services in the long run. It is hard
and sometimes hectic work that can be very rewarding.
--
Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old December 14th 04, 04:52 PM
Mike Romain

A high school kid with a 'course' is a minimum wage job. They are
extremely aggravating to deal with because they know squat and don't go
far or last long due to the complaints against them. They soon realize
how dead end it is and go get a real job.

Now if he was a mechanic first and then switched over to service, he
stands to make some decent money because he can be useful instead of
just being the poor know nothing PR sucker they sick the ****ed off
customers on.

Like someone else mentioned, he should go to a few places and talk to
the service advisors, the young green ones, not the old timers.

My $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's