air bag injuries due to propellant chemicals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 3rd 04, 08:45 PM
linda

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, linda wrote:
>

>>i have recently found out that air bags cause respiratory problems with
>>their chemicals.

> This has been known for decades.

decades ago all i cared about was what i looked like, and what party i
was going to ... :-)

>>the safety and auto industry knows this, but have
>>determined the benefits outweigh the risks.

> ...except that they don't. Even using NHTSA's most grossly overstated
> "saved" numbers and most grossly understated "cost" and "injured" numbers,
> airbags as implemented in North America flunk any cost/benefit or
> benefit/drawback analysis.

i have talked to people who say that even people who work in the
industries won't make comments
because they are in fear. they have signed waivers, etc. i also have
heard that auto companies have made settlements
to keep these out of the public eye.

>>i am wanting to find out how i can help, what i can do as an individual.

> Not a damned thing. NHTSA does what it wants; most North American auto
> safety and equipment regulations are based more on politics than on
> science, and what science is used is highly selective. Doesn't matter
> whether we're talking about airbags or headlamps or tires or brakes or
> fuel tanks or whatever, the pattern is the same clear across the board.
> Virtually the entire rest of the world subscribes to an alternate auto
> safety regulation set (ECE). The US is NOT first/best/lowest in the world
> for deaths per vehicle mile travelled; we are 16th. The US is NOT
> first/best/lowest in the world for deaths per vehicle registered; we are
> 10th. ( www.scienceservingsociety.com ). Nevertheless, US regulators
> continue to publicly claim that US cars are the safest in the world, and
> privately deride the stupid rest of the world for not acceding to US
> regulations.

then what can be done? talking to senators, representatives? find
lawyers who would litigate these matters?
find people who are injured and have them go to a congressional hearing?
i am thinking large now.. these other folks have
me all worked up over their inability to research properly before they
type.

>>i want to make these large companies admit the respiratory injuries that
>>these chemicals cause and compensate those who have these types of
>>injuries.

> And I want to make these large companies admit US lighting standards are 3
> decades behind the rest of the world. I also want a great big house in the
> middle of the forest in BC. And a zillion dollars.

if you find that, make sure you have a separate littler house down the
road for me and my disabled son...
zillions dollars would be great....

what else can i do? where else can i turn? i am not good at making a
web page, but i will learn and give it a try.. do
you think that would help any?

>>i do not like the statements made that the benefits of the air bags
>>outweigh the risks...

> I don't like being lied to either, especially when the lie is so baldfaced
> and easily disproven.

Daniel, thank you for being the voice of reason today.. .i appreciate
your knowledge, and your understanding....

you can email me on my regular email. i think i found your website, can
i email you my email addy? and lets talk some more without
having to be bothered by people who are not wanting to research these
items.. i can help research for you on your headlight issue...

linda