1990 Acura Legend Jack Points

Old May 7th 05, 08:35 PM
Kin

Default 1990 Acura Legend Jack Points

Does anybody know where the Jack Points are for 1990 Acura Legend 4
doors? I know the 4 points under the 4 doors but I need to jack up the
car and put jack stands on those points. Thus I need to jack on on
another spot using a hydraulic jack. Actually in general how do the
Mechanics find out what are the points to jack up the car?

Thanks

Old May 7th 05, 08:42 PM
SoCalMike

Kin wrote:
> Does anybody know where the Jack Points are for 1990 Acura Legend 4
> doors? I know the 4 points under the 4 doors but I need to jack up the
> car and put jack stands on those points. Thus I need to jack on on
> another spot using a hydraulic jack. Actually in general how do the
> Mechanics find out what are the points to jack up the car?
>
> Thanks

id jack right next to those points, on the same piece of metal, flange,
frame, etc. you just dont want to put the jack on a flat portion, like
the floor pan. unless you want a jack sized hump in the floor
Old May 7th 05, 09:55 PM
John Ings

On 7 May 2005 12:35:49 -0700, "Kin" > wrote:

>Does anybody know where the Jack Points are for 1990 Acura Legend 4
>doors? I know the 4 points under the 4 doors but I need to jack up the
>car and put jack stands on those points. Thus I need to jack on on
>another spot using a hydraulic jack. Actually in general how do the
>Mechanics find out what are the points to jack up the car?

You look for thick metal that can take the pressure. In general that
means suspension components like lower suspension arms, trailing arms
etc, or subframes. If you look behind the plastic splash shrouds under
the front of the car you will usually see a subframe to which the
engine mounts are bolted. This in turn is bolted to the bodywork with
rubber shockmounts. There is usually another at the back to take the
rear suspension members. Both are made of strong enough metal to take
a jack. Morover you can trust them long after the car's doorsills are
so rusted out the recommended jacking points can't be trusted. Don't
trust the jacking points on a 15 year-old car too much unless the car
has never seen a salty road. I've seen many a jack get a car eight or
nine inches up and then punch right through rusted metal so the car
came rapidly right back down!

Which jackpoint you use depends on what you're doing. For instance you
don't want a jackstand under a suspension arm if you want the wheel
right down out of the wheel well. On the other hand if you have a
floor jack and want to get a tire up off the ground without having to
jack everything way up in the air, then right under the lower ball
joint is a good place. Or under the extreme end of the lower
suspension arm.

With light cars a floor jack on the subframe right under the radiator
will take both front wheels off the ground.

Never get under the car if there's only a jack holding it up. Use
blocks or jackstands and chock the wheels. If you're not on pavement
put a piece of plywood under the jackstands so they don't sink into
the ground.

Old May 7th 05, 10:17 PM
Elle

If you register at www.autozone.com , put in your car's year, make, and
model, then go to "Repair Guides" then "jacking," an illustration will come
up showing the four points under the four doors and also the front and rear
jacking points for your Legend.

For the rear, there's a hook just under and behind the license plate. You
should have seen it in the past. You can jack directly under it.

For the front, there apparently is a "jack lift platform" beneath and
apparently several inches aft of the front bumper.

I also do what SoCalMike does.

Lastly, my 91 Civic is approaching that point to which John referred (four
side jacking points are starting to get crumbly), so I am acquainted with
where on my suspension I can put jacks, too and should start using them
like... last week when I rotated my tires.

ups.com...

Old May 7th 05, 10:25 PM
Elle

Illustration of jacking points for the 1991 Accord, which look similar to
Autozone's drawing for the Legend:
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/AccordManual/400/1-8.pdf

Old May 8th 05, 12:48 AM
MAT

"Kin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anybody know where the Jack Points are for 1990 Acura Legend 4
> doors? I know the 4 points under the 4 doors but I need to jack up the
> car and put jack stands on those points. Thus I need to jack on on
> another spot using a hydraulic jack. Actually in general how do the
> Mechanics find out what are the points to jack up the car?
>
> Thanks

Firstly, RTFM. My limited experience usually points to 6 manual sanctioned
jacking points. 1 per, fore and aft and usually 1 per corner, ie. flat tire
jacking points which also are places for jack stands and auto lifts.

Old May 8th 05, 04:41 AM
Jafir Elkurd

There is a center tow hook on the bar that connects the two front sub
frames. The service manual says to lift the front of the car there. In the
back there will either be a tow hook or a round solid protrusion (in the
center) that you can use to lift the rear.

ups.com...

Old May 8th 05, 12:15 PM
John Ings

On Sat, 7 May 2005 22:41:59 -0500, "Jafir Elkurd"
> wrote:

>There is a center tow hook on the bar that connects the two front sub
>frames. The service manual says to lift the front of the car there. In the
>back there will either be a tow hook or a round solid protrusion (in the
>center) that you can use to lift the rear.

Yes. Actually they're not tow hooks, they're the tie-down lugs that
are used to hold the car in place during shipment on those big
Japanese car transporter ships. They are indeed a good place to jack,
since they are always fixed to a robust part of the car.

Old May 8th 05, 06:04 PM
Elle

"John Ings" > wrote
> > wrote:
>
> >There is a center tow hook on the bar that connects the two front sub
> >frames. The service manual says to lift the front of the car there. In

the
> >back there will either be a tow hook or a round solid protrusion (in the
> >center) that you can use to lift the rear.

> Yes. Actually they're not tow hooks, they're the tie-down lugs that
> are used to hold the car in place during shipment on those big
> Japanese car transporter ships. They are indeed a good place to jack,
> since they are always fixed to a robust part of the car.

Huh. I would never have known this but for this post.

All I've used the hook for in the past was when I was hauling something
bulky in the trunk and had to tie the trunk lid down. The hook is perfect to
pass the rope through.

Of course, as I implied earlier, my 1991 Civic needs alternative jacking
points these days, too, so I'll be using the hook more for this. My 91 Civic
has one only on the rear.

Old May 10th 05, 06:42 PM
Kin

Thanks all the tips!!!

Legend Acura Swifty Honda 4 April 18th 05 02:40 AM
1988 Acura Legend - 2.7 Le Roy Galloway via CarKB.com Technology 1 April 13th 05 05:34 PM
Acura RL vs Japanese Legend [email protected] Honda 0 January 15th 05 07:22 PM
jack points z4869375 Honda 5 October 17th 04 08:35 AM