90 XJ exhaust manifold $$$$

Old June 8th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 90 XJ exhaust manifold $$$$

I have 2 estimates on the labor charge for changing the exhaust manifold..
$621 & $650! Is this real? Why are they saying that it will take about 10
hours of labor to do this?

Old June 8th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

As I remember I usually could complete the job in about half the
flat rate manual's time. And with all that smog crap surrounding your
six, five hours would probably be the best I could do. And with the
bleeding heart liberal wackos like Boxer and Feinstein taxing the heck
out Kalifornia's businesses, sixty bucks and hour is probably break
even.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 8th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"CDawg1506" > wrote in message
> I have 2 estimates on the labor charge for changing the exhaust
> manifold..
> $621 & $650! Is this real? Why are they saying that it will take
> about 10 hours of labor to do this?

They are not necessarily saying that it will take 10 hours. They might be
saying instead, that they charge $100 per hour, and that it takes 6 hours.
I haven't done this job, but I have looked under the hood of an XJ, and I am
thinking that there isn't much room under there for hands and wrenches.
Then you have to add in the complications of frozen sixteen years old bolts
and studs that will break off in the head. Whatever the reason, your local
shops seem to be in agreement.

Now if this XJ has a four cylinder engine, then you might be having your leg
pulled.

Earle

Old June 8th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"CDawg1506" > wrote in message
>I have 2 estimates on the labor charge for changing the exhaust manifold..
>$621 & $650! Is this real? Why are they saying that it will take about 10
>hours of labor to do this?

1. I used to run a muffler and brake shop.
2. I've done a ton of those.
3. We charged around $425.00 (back in 2000 was the last one).
4. It isn't hard to do. The hardest part is disconnecting the manifold from
the downpipe without ruining the doughnut gasket there. It's around 18.00
bucks.
5. If memory serves, it's about a 4 hour job.

Spdloader

Old June 8th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

CDawg1506 did pass the time by typing:
> I have 2 estimates on the labor charge for changing the exhaust manifold..
> $621 & $650! Is this real? Why are they saying that it will take about 10
> hours of labor to do this?

If your relativly good with tools it is something you can do yourself.

It does take some time, took me about 4 hours if you don't count the time
I took to replace the superchargers spider gear. Probably could have done
it in less time but I'm a tad anal about cleaning and torque. That and
some time cleaning out the intake rail and grinding a bit on a motor mount.
(banks aftermarket was an "almost drop in")

For $650 you can buy a nice assortment of quality tools. Or beer.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old June 9th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"CDawg1506" > wrote in message
>I have 2 estimates on the labor charge for changing the exhaust manifold..
>$621 & $650! Is this real? Why are they saying that it will take about 10
>hours of labor to do this?

I did one for a friend on a 91 it took me 5 hours and 4 beers I am a light
weight.

Coasty