When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead?

Old July 18th 04, 04:30 AM
John

Default When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead?

The generator light came on while I was driving but the next day all I heard
was a clicking sound when I tried to start it. Headlights come on dimly. Is
this usually just the battery or something more serious? Before this I had
no indication that the battery was getting weak. The little battery light
would come on when I first started the car and then go off as is normal.

Old July 18th 04, 05:02 AM
BANDIT2941

>The generator light came on while I was driving but the next day all I heard
>was a clicking sound when I tried to start it. Headlights come on dimly. Is
>this usually just the battery or something more serious? Before this I had
>no indication that the battery was getting weak. The little battery light
>would come on when I first started the car and then go off as is normal.

It probably means that your alternator went, and ran the battery dead. If the
battery is fairly new, replace the alternator and you should be fine. If the
batt is getting old, replace it as well.
Old July 18th 04, 06:23 AM
John

"BANDIT2941" > wrote in message
> >The generator light came on while I was driving but the next day all I

heard
> >was a clicking sound when I tried to start it. Headlights come on dimly.

Is
> >this usually just the battery or something more serious? Before this I

had
> >no indication that the battery was getting weak. The little battery light
> >would come on when I first started the car and then go off as is normal.
> >

> It probably means that your alternator went, and ran the battery dead.

Someone who knows cars told me that if the lights come on even dimly, it's
not the alternator just the battery. Anyway, how much does it cost to
replace the alternator on a '96 Saturn SL?

Old July 18th 04, 06:31 AM
Blah Blah

In article >, bandit2941
@aol.comNHRA says...
> >The generator light came on while I was driving but the next day all I heard
> >was a clicking sound when I tried to start it. Headlights come on dimly. Is
> >this usually just the battery or something more serious? Before this I had
> >no indication that the battery was getting weak. The little battery light
> >would come on when I first started the car and then go off as is normal.
> >

> It probably means that your alternator went, and ran the battery dead. If the
> battery is fairly new, replace the alternator and you should be fine. If the
> batt is getting old, replace it as well.

If you replace the alt, charge the battery up prior to running the car
so as not to overwork the new alt. If I were you I would probably check
for a parasitic draw as well.
Old July 18th 04, 09:19 AM
Zaphod

> Someone who knows cars told me that if the lights come on even dimly, it's
> not the alternator just the battery. Anyway, how much does it cost to
> replace the alternator on a '96 Saturn SL?

On Sauternes that battery light is actually an indicator that the alternator
is going out. I had to replace mine on my 95SL1 early this year or late
last year.

Since I didn't have the tools to do the work myself I had to take my car
into a shop to do the work. I can't remember exactly how much I spent, but
I did save some money by buying the alternator from an autoparts store
myself and then taking it to the mechanic to be installed. That way the
shop did not have to charge me a mark up on the part.

I did not change my battery when I changed the alternator and have not had
any problems with it.

Mark.

Old July 18th 04, 06:57 PM
richard hornsby

Zaphod wrote:
> I can't remember exactly how much I spent, but
> I did save some money by buying the alternator from an autoparts store
> myself and then taking it to the mechanic to be installed.

Did this affect the warranty or repair garuntee that the shop normally
provides as part of their service? IIRC, many shops won't allow you
to give them the replacement parts, since they say they can't be sure
where the part you gave them came from.

-rj
98SL2
Old July 18th 04, 09:49 PM
John

"Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> In article >, bandit2941
> @aol.comNHRA says...
> > >The generator light came on while I was driving but the next day all I

heard
> > >was a clicking sound when I tried to start it. Headlights come on

dimly. Is
> > >this usually just the battery or something more serious? Before this I

had
> > >no indication that the battery was getting weak. The little battery

light
> > >would come on when I first started the car and then go off as is

normal.

> > It probably means that your alternator went, and ran the battery dead.

If the
> > battery is fairly new, replace the alternator and you should be fine. If

the
> > batt is getting old, replace it as well.

> If you replace the alt, charge the battery up prior to running the car
> so as not to overwork the new alt. If I were you I would probably check
> for a parasitic draw as well.

Where are the most likely places to look if the battery is being drained?

Old July 18th 04, 10:55 PM
Kirk Kohnen

Look under the car for a puddle of electrons.

;-)

Old July 19th 04, 06:00 AM
Robert Hancock

Presumably your battery is dead now, but the battery light indicates a
problem in the charging system, most likely your alternator is bad.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

news