91 Acura Integra - High NOx - Failed emissions test - NJ

Old August 9th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 91 Acura Integra - High NOx - Failed emissions test - NJ

My 91 acura Integra LS failed the emission test a second time for high
NOx. Could the gurus please provide some input on what I should be
checking? Here are the details.

Test 1:
NOx - 1984
HC - 91
CO% - .34
CO2% - 14.3
O2% - .6

After this test, my mechanic replaced the Catalytic convertor. The
second test results we
Test 2:
NOx - 1367
HC - 10
CO% - 0.00
CO2% - 13.2
O2% - .9

So, the NOx did drop but not enough to pass the test. (The pass level
of NOx in NJ is 1088)

Any recommendations on what could be the big culprit?

Thanks in advance.

Old August 9th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

wrote in
oups.com:

> My 91 acura Integra LS failed the emission test a second time for high
> NOx. Could the gurus please provide some input on what I should be
> checking? Here are the details.
>
> Test 1:
> NOx - 1984
> HC - 91
> CO% - .34
> CO2% - 14.3
> O2% - .6
>
> After this test, my mechanic replaced the Catalytic convertor. The
> second test results we
> Test 2:
> NOx - 1367
> HC - 10
> CO% - 0.00
> CO2% - 13.2
> O2% - .9
>
> So, the NOx did drop but not enough to pass the test. (The pass level
> of NOx in NJ is 1088)
>
> Any recommendations on what could be the big culprit?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you have an automatic, check the EGR system.

Check base ignition timing. With the Service Check Connector shorted, the
timing mark on the timing belt cover should be in the middle of the group
of three on the crank pulley.

I'm wondering if the reduction side of your "new" cat is defective. Your
CO2 reading is WAY too low. It should be well over 15%.

By the way, NJ is *extremely* generous with their limits. Where I live,
they're postively totalitarian about it:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...emissions.html

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 12th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

TeGGeR® wrote:
> wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> My 91 acura Integra LS failed the emission test a second time for high
>> NOx. Could the gurus please provide some input on what I should be
>> checking? Here are the details.
>>
>> Test 1:
>> NOx - 1984
>> HC - 91
>> CO% - .34
>> CO2% - 14.3
>> O2% - .6
>>
>> After this test, my mechanic replaced the Catalytic convertor. The
>> second test results we
>> Test 2:
>> NOx - 1367
>> HC - 10
>> CO% - 0.00
>> CO2% - 13.2
>> O2% - .9
>>
>> So, the NOx did drop but not enough to pass the test. (The pass level
>> of NOx in NJ is 1088)
>>
>> Any recommendations on what could be the big culprit?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> If you have an automatic, check the EGR system.

indeed. the op needs to make sure the ignition is set correctly too. a
lot of non-honda mechanics don't bother with the service connector when
setting timing and it's frequently out.

Old September 10th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Thanks guys. Tegger, jim you were right on the mark. It was the base
ignition timing. I had that adjusted and the NOx dropped to 1013 and
passed the test.

jim beam wrote:
> TeGGeR® wrote:
> > wrote in
> > oups.com:
> >
> >> My 91 acura Integra LS failed the emission test a second time for high
> >> NOx. Could the gurus please provide some input on what I should be
> >> checking? Here are the details.
> >>
> >> Test 1:
> >> NOx - 1984
> >> HC - 91
> >> CO% - .34
> >> CO2% - 14.3
> >> O2% - .6
> >>
> >> After this test, my mechanic replaced the Catalytic convertor. The
> >> second test results we
> >> Test 2:
> >> NOx - 1367
> >> HC - 10
> >> CO% - 0.00
> >> CO2% - 13.2
> >> O2% - .9
> >>
> >> So, the NOx did drop but not enough to pass the test. (The pass level
> >> of NOx in NJ is 1088)
> >>
> >> Any recommendations on what could be the big culprit?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>

> > If you have an automatic, check the EGR system.

> indeed. the op needs to make sure the ignition is set correctly too. a
> lot of non-honda mechanics don't bother with the service connector when
> setting timing and it's frequently out.
>

> > Check base ignition timing. With the Service Check Connector shorted, the
> > timing mark on the timing belt cover should be in the middle of the group
> > of three on the crank pulley.
> >
> > I'm wondering if the reduction side of your "new" cat is defective. Your
> > CO2 reading is WAY too low. It should be well over 15%.
> >
> > By the way, NJ is *extremely* generous with their limits. Where I live,
> > they're postively totalitarian about it:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...emissions.html

Question about 94 Acura Integra shocks and springs [email protected] Honda 0 January 9th 06 03:35 PM
1988 Olds 88 3800V6 keeps blowing cam sensors, high HC, CO emissions Glen Cooper Technology 9 January 5th 05 05:18 AM
Drive Clean, old A2s, and NOx emissions Garry Tarr VW water cooled 1 November 9th 04 01:18 PM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 10:14 AM
92 SL2 DOHC failed smog test - 15mph NOx Bill Mudd Saturn 3 June 21st 04 11:28 PM