Oh boy... what fun. :)

Old September 9th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Oh boy... what fun. :)

Just finished putting a new CV boot on my ZJ.

Not terribly hard, except for those three damn
bearing to knuckle bolts that managed to break
two of my el-cheapo sockets and required some
back-woods engineering. (Had to put a jack under
the breaker bar to get enough force to break the
forward bolt free) Impressive for bolts that only
go in to 75ft.lbs. But that was almost 13 years ago.

Yep.. took photos. Gonna be a while before
I can get them on-line or do a write-up.

Only thing that bugs me is I think I didn't
get enough air out of the boot, it's not as
flat as the other side. But then again the
silly boot only costs $11 so if it goes again
I'll take another crack at it.

Hmm... I might be able to get a new band clamp
and just cut the old one off, burp it, and reclamp.

Hibdon tires (who spotted the problem while doing
my rotation/balance) wanted to charge $460 to half-shaft
the axle. Kept on telling me how hard the job is.
Jeep wanted over 80$ for the stupid boot. NAPA, as usual,
came through at $11.

In reality it's one of the dirtiest jobs I've ever done
on the ZJ. Lots of grease everywhere, dirt to haul out
of the axle, and cleaning the CV joint..

--
DougW

Old September 9th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

What are you going to do with the $449. you saved?

How does it rate on your beer scale?

Old September 9th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Doug,
Looking forward to your documentation, your pages:
http://members.cox.net/wilsond/ are very helpful.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 9th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> What are you going to do with the $449. you saved?

Probably blow it all on new tools that don't shatter
when I use them.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/b0rk-sockets.jpg

> How does it rate on your beer scale?

Tecnically it's a very easy job. Just bolts
and having a banding clamp tool. But those
bolts are a PITA so I would rate it about
three beers. Two if you have an air wrench
or strong arms.

--
DougW

Old September 9th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Made in Red China?

Old September 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> Made in Red China?

Taiwan.

Like all qwality tools are.

Actually I have several sets of tools. Some real good craftsman/snap-on/s&k
and an assortment of crap that I don't mind loaning out. This is yet another
fine opportunity to buy some more good sockets.

Old September 9th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_4_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
---snippy---

> Actually I have several sets of tools. Some real good

craftsman/snap-on/s&k
> and an assortment of crap that I don't mind loaning out. This is yet

another
> fine opportunity to buy some more good sockets.

I'll remember that the next time I want to round off some bolt heads. ;^)

SK sockets used to break. Do they still do that?

Earle

Old September 9th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Earle Horton wrote:
> "DougW" wrote

>> Actually I have several sets of tools. Some real good
>> craftsman/snap-on/s&k and an assortment of crap that I don't mind
>> loaning out. This is yet another fine opportunity to buy some more
>> good sockets.
>>

> I'll remember that the next time I want to round off some bolt heads.
> ;^)

I've got the perfect socket set for that and I'll even throw in the
plumbers wrench so you can rip the head right off that bolt.

> SK sockets used to break. Do they still do that?

I've never had an SK socket break on me, but I have twisted the ends
off several extensions and adapters with them. They are the black
(impact) type.

--
DougW

Old September 9th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_4_]

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Earle Horton wrote:
> > "DougW" wrote

> >> Actually I have several sets of tools. Some real good
> >> craftsman/snap-on/s&k and an assortment of crap that I don't mind
> >> loaning out. This is yet another fine opportunity to buy some more
> >> good sockets.
> >>

> > I'll remember that the next time I want to round off some bolt heads.
> > ;^)

> I've got the perfect socket set for that and I'll even throw in the
> plumbers wrench so you can rip the head right off that bolt.
>
> > SK sockets used to break. Do they still do that?

> I've never had an SK socket break on me, but I have twisted the ends
> off several extensions and adapters with them. They are the black
> (impact) type.

I stopped buying them about thirty years ago, when a salesman told me that
the cheap ass rubber handle on a breaker bar fell off the breaker bar,
because I had abused it. Then a counter person told me that I would have to
take a broken socket back to the store where I had bought it, six states
away. The shiny ones were famous for shattering, but they didn't round off
bolt heads. I still have an SK metal socket organizer, full of mostly
Craftsman sockets! The wrenches were tough, but too big for most uses.

Earle

Old September 10th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

DON'T USE NO NAME TOOLS! Not even it they were a gift!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/