snow load on convertible top?

Old January 22nd 05, 11:46 PM
RaOuL

Default snow load on convertible top?

Ok, it's snowing like crazy here in NH and we're supposed to get a couple of
feet of snow from this storm before it's done. Not a big deal for me, I've
seen this kind of weather before. However, I didn't own a convertible before
this year. Now for the big question: just how much snow will a convertible
top hold without collapsing? Should I go out to the driveway every few hours
and clear off the car, or just wait until the storm is finished? Seriously.
I would imagine that there is a weight limit for that roof and once that
limit is exceeded it will just collapse. I'd hate to see that happen. Or am
I just paranoid?

Thanks,
-=RaOuL
'87 Mustang LX convertible

Old January 23rd 05, 01:23 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Just use common sense... four inches is pretty usual, 2 feet is pushing it.

It would be a good idea to brush off the entire car while you're at it.

Dont try to get it all, i use a soft floor broom and just push it off.

RaOuL opined in :

Old January 23rd 05, 03:21 AM
Dave

I never took a chance with my convertible. I never let more than 6
inches build up before I would go out and clear off the roof.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:44 PM
John C.

> RaOuL wrote:
>
> > Ok, it's snowing like crazy here in NH and we're supposed to get a couple of
> > feet of snow from this storm before it's done. Not a big deal for me, I've
> > seen this kind of weather before. However, I didn't own a convertible before
> > this year. Now for the big question: just how much snow will a convertible
> > top hold without collapsing? Should I go out to the driveway every few hours
> > and clear off the car, or just wait until the storm is finished? Seriously.
> > I would imagine that there is a weight limit for that roof and once that
> > limit is exceeded it will just collapse. I'd hate to see that happen. Or am
> > I just paranoid?

Unless you're seeing exceptionally wet, heavy snow up there, I wouldn't worry
about it. If the top is in good shape you'll be fine.

Down here on Cape Ann (Surfs up!) we're getting a lot of snow, but it's of the
light, fluffy variety. Hell, I can't even _see_ my car, it's been consumed by a
drift.
--

John C. (lovin' the white stuff)
'03 Cobra Convt.

Old January 23rd 05, 09:36 PM
RaOuL

We just got some light fluffy snow, alot of it, but not terribly heavy. I
thought I'd take my chances and hope for the best. In addition to tapping
the collective wisdom of this group, I also sought the advice of my next
door neighbor who used to work as a mechanic at a local Ford dealership.
Concensus is that the roof should hold up well. It did.

http://www.blanchettefamily.org/mustang/SnowyStang.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I'm a little less paranoid now.....

-=RaOuL

Old January 23rd 05, 10:48 PM

LOOOL!! That's hilarious!

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old January 24th 05, 01:12 AM
SVTKate

One thing you might want to consider int he future though.
Just because I said so.

Try getting a car cover for it during this harsh time of year. It will keep
the ice and snow from forming directly on the top and when yo DO have to
scrape/push/broom it off you will have less abuse overall to your car.

Yep, the cover will be a mess but it would shake out and you could pop it
into the dryer and start all over again.

Why in the heck would you leave it outside anyway?

Kate

Old January 24th 05, 02:43 AM
Garth Almgren

Around 1/23/2005 4:12 PM, SVTKate wrote:

> Why in the heck would you leave it outside anyway?

If he's like me, the only place inside with enough room would be in the
family room...

--
/ Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch <Former MW #7> \
| My V6stang: http://www.v6stang.com/v6stang |
Old January 24th 05, 03:49 AM
SVTKate

Well, you have a point.
I think I'd find or build a way to keep it out of that though.

Heck, when we were house hunting one thing that we had a little trouble
finding was a house that had an attached garage.
Didn't settle for less though.

Kate

Old January 24th 05, 03:57 AM
-=RaOuL

My predicament exactly! It was a choice between the baby's crib or the Stang
in the driveway for the winter. The Stang lost

Snow plows for small 4x4's? 4x4 7 January 19th 05 09:45 PM
Hey Mike, snow! Greg Jeep 3 January 16th 05 11:18 PM
Ford to Unveil Latest Convertible Mustang Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 4 January 6th 05 04:54 PM
Battery load test [email protected] Technology 0 December 31st 04 03:53 PM