Dont tailgate me bumper sticket

Old August 15th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Dont tailgate me bumper sticket

I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect? I
think many people tailgate because theyfeel there is no consequence .
With a bumper sticket like that it would mean the driver does not
appreciate being tailgaited and would likely do something retaliatory.

On the other hand, i fear the redneck, white trash type of driver would
see it as an invitation to purposely furthur annoy and vastly increase
your chance of an accident??

Old August 15th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

> I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect?

While there are some idiots that tailgate when they could pass, you're
likely doing something wrong if you're being tailgated often. You
should pull over to the side of the street or in a turnout until the
drivers behind you have passed. It's safer than trying to block an
angry or distracted driver.
Old August 15th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect? I
> think many people tailgate because theyfeel there is no consequence .
> With a bumper sticket like that it would mean the driver does not
> appreciate being tailgaited and would likely do something retaliatory.
>
> On the other hand, i fear the redneck, white trash type of driver would
> see it as an invitation to purposely furthur annoy and vastly increase
> your chance of an accident??

Yep. I think for the most part it would -- unfortunately -- cause more
problems than it solves. People get awfully irrational and emotional at
times behind the wheel and they tend to take things like someone ahead of
them "blocking" them personally. I think the sticker may exacerbate that as
they -- irrationally -- interpret that as personal insult. Kind of like
people who take George W. Bush bumper stickers personally. Kinda dumb if
you ask me.

The best tailgater repellent is just letting em pass, which you *should* be
doing if you're on a multi-lane road anyway. If you're in a place where you
either cannot change lanes (literally -- restricted lanes like HOV or
express) or are on a two-lane road with no passing lanes and no safe place
to pull over, what I usually do is -- without braking -- slow down
significantly and then speed back up to where you were before. This creates
a greater following distance and usually serves to wake the other driver up
a bit if they aren't consciously tailgating.

brink

Old August 15th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

http://www.cafepress.com/leftlanedicks.11300874
Old August 15th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Michael G. Koerner

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2006 21:11:22 -0700, wrote:
>

>>I often wondered if such a bumper sticker would have any effect? I
>>think many people tailgate because theyfeel there is no consequence .
>>With a bumper sticket like that it would mean the driver does not
>>appreciate being tailgaited and would likely do something retaliatory.
>>
>>On the other hand, i fear the redneck, white trash type of driver would
>>see it as an invitation to purposely furthur annoy and vastly increase
>>your chance of an accident??

> Here's a couple stickers that will intimidate the rednecks.
>
> I'M A GUN NUT AND I SHOOT TAILGATERS
>
> ONLY HOMOS ARE TAILGATERS

I seldom respond to (or even read) any of this guy's posts, but one that I'd
love to put on my car is:

"TAILGATE ME AND I'LL DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT!"

:-)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old August 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Alexander Rogge > wrote:
>While there are some idiots that tailgate when they could pass,

That's actually most of them, from what I observe. You could be
in the right lane of a multilane road, behind someone else at the
same speed, with no one in the lane to the left, and still attract
passive tailgaters who tailgate rather than pass.

Or perhaps they are the drivers who think that a reasonable
following distance at freeway speeds is less than the distance
that they should leave between vehicles stopped at red lights.

Timothy J. Lee