Water Pump and timing belt cost $725

Old July 8th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
johnin[_5_]

Default Water Pump and timing belt cost $725

My Honda civic(1993) mileage : 131000. I bought it at 111000 last
year.Thus, I've had it for a year now and done 20,000 miles.

My car overheated today.I took it to the dealership and paid $120 for
finding out the estimate and he said he'll apply it towards the
repair.Found out that the thermostat had to be replaced.Total cost
$200.

The dealer also told me that there was a hole in the water pump and it
needed to be replaced.And that, if i was replacing the water pump,
might as well replace the timing belt too.He said the total cost would
be $720.Can't the hole be patched up or covered instead of replacing
the water pump?.

SHOULD i show it to another honda mechanic and get it done from there
for a cheaper price?.There is an asian mechanic,and i have done many
jobs with him.I dont know why but i trust the dealer more than this
mechanic.I am in a dilemma. Also, if ther is a hole in the water pump,
how soon it should be replaced and what are the consequences if
replaced late?.I am a broke college student, but i use this car a lot.I
thought hondas were reliable.
what! $200 to change a thermostat ? thats downright outrages ouch!

i changed mine on my civic using one from partsource came with Gasket
for a cost of:

- $20.00 and i changed coollant and bled coolling system. a jug of prestone was
- $12.00

for a grand total $32.00 Can

the only hole found in the water pump is the weap hole that water pumps
have to leak out from when the seal go"s Bad. if youres is leaking from there
then Yes get it repaired ASAP before it leaks out the coolant completely & overheats
your engine! you dont necessarily need to take it to Honda for a $720 bill

there are good mechanics/Tecnitions out there that will do just as good of a job
for much less make sure to also change that timing belt along with the
water pump and insist on them using Honda parts remember you whant durability/reliability on the work performed for the long run.

P.S.
And yes HONDAS are reliable vehicles they just need someone willing
to give them some TLC that can take them along way!......

--
johnin

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-431383.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old July 8th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TooManyProjects

Don't go to that mechanic ever again! You can buy a pump for $25-30, and
a thermostat isn't but $10-20. Let's face it if you go there, your gonna
get screwed. Buy a repair manual for $20 and do it yourself.
BTW-$20-40 for a belt.

--
TooManyProjects
TooManyProjects's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=458188