Weber linkage help

Old November 20th 04, 05:28 PM
tim horvath

Default Weber linkage help

I am helping to salvage a junkyard find -- 1972 Bay bus with a type 4
engine. Previous owner has installed a single, center mounted, Weber 2bbl
mainfold and carb. Carb is oriented with linkage on drivers side of
vehicle. Stock accelerator cable passes through engine tin approx 10" to
drivers side of vehicle centerline. Existing carb linkage rotates clockwise
and actuator must be pulled straight down. ( Linkage arm can be rotated 180
deg to move straight UP.)

Accelerator does not work since it pulls parallel to the floor of the bus --
90 deg from linkage required motion.

Now the questions:

1) Is the carb oriented properly or does it need to rotate 180 deg ?
2) CIP lists part #C13-43-0602 - UNIVERSAL LINKAGE KIT FOR ALL WEBER 2BBL
PROGRESSIVE CARBURETORS. Will this solve my problem?
3) Has anyone used this setup before? What do I need to make it work?

Thanks,
--
Chris Corfias

71 SB convert
78 bay bus

Old November 20th 04, 09:51 PM
David Gravereaux

"tim horvath" > wrote:

>3) Has anyone used this setup before? What do I need to make it work?

Regarding the linkage geometry, I can't be much assistance to you. But I
can say this..

I had a progressive 32/36 DFEV in my beetle with the redline "premium"
heated manifold. Suffice to say, it had an awful off idle bog, and no
matter how much idle jet or accel pump changes I did, the bog was always
present. Even with an SVDA distributor, the bog was always there.

Should I have used a different cam? Possibly.. I never solved it. On
the T4, I'm sure the runner lengths are shorter, and that might have been
the main problem with a T1 setup.

Good luck getting your Weber to behave even after you solve the linkage
issue. Sorry for the tone of this. I just couldn't get the carb to
behave. The carb did add more giddy-up once you were off the bog.

Go with dual 40IDFs with the enrichment circuit, or any other pair of
carbs on _short_ runners for a better setup, IMHO.
--
David Gravereaux >
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]
Old November 22nd 04, 01:25 AM
ilambert

The carb is mounted 180 degrees wrong(unless you have aRHD Bus).The linkage
should be on the right side,the cable will have to pass thru a tube in the
firewall tin to work smoothly and it will be a bear to adjust.It does the
job,but be prepared for an off idle bog(made worse by the 009 distributor
that seems to always keep company with this bad boy).Also, cables for this
application are an area to be explored.I only say this because "Hans",my
formerly trusted Westy,sits mocking me in the garage so equipped.Enjoy,Steve

wiper linkage Wwj2110 Saturn 1 January 18th 05 12:45 AM
Weber Carb Phill BMW 0 November 26th 04 01:37 PM
Need Intake Maniford for Weber Carbs (1984 Spider Volace) r.amber Alfa Romeo 0 June 19th 04 10:28 PM
Steering linkage prob Richard Cox 4x4 8 March 4th 04 07:31 PM