How to disable alarm system on a 1996 Miata M edition?

Old July 4th 05, 10:52 PM

Default How to disable alarm system on a 1996 Miata M edition?

Hi,

Anyone know how to disable the alarm system on a Miata? I have a 1996
M-edition. I've looked at the fuse box and there doesn't seem to be a
fuse for the alarm system that I could simply pull out.

Thanks,

Hector

Old July 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-07-05, Eric Baber > wrote:

>>> Anyone know how to disable the alarm system on a Miata? I have a 1996
>>> M-edition. I've looked at the fuse box and there doesn't seem to be a
>>> fuse for the alarm system that I could simply pull out.

>> There's a switch on the steering column. Slide it to the "off"
>> position.

> And that works?! Please tell me the key has to be in the
> ignition for that to work,

Yes, of course. The key has to be "on", the alarm has to be
"off" (shut off via the remote or by starting the car within 15
seconds of opening the door). Or something close to that.

It's in the manual...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Should I get
at locked in the PRINCICAL'S
Old July 7th 05, 02:54 PM

Hi, sliding the switch to the off position does turn off the alarm, but
leaves the little security lamp blinking. How can I disconnect the
system completely, so that it doesn't draw any power?

Thanks,

Hector

Old July 7th 05, 07:49 PM
pws

Grant Edwards wrote:

> OK, just disconnect the battery. Alarm completely disabled.
> Problem solved.

He was asking how to disable the alarm, not the entire car. I assume
that you are being sarcastic, which I can appreciate. "Problem" or not,
he wants the thing turned off completely, including the security light,
but I would hazard a guess that he still wants to drive the car.

I have given him instructions that will allow both of these to happen,
whether or not the alarm is a problem to him, you or anyone else.

pat