Surging in first gear

Old July 7th 05, 10:33 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Default Surging in first gear

Hi;

Have a 86 GTI that has suddenly started misbehaving in first gear...
surging/stalling.

This started after my son decided to give someone lessons in how to drive
stick on the car (without asking/telling me)

It's very annoying... once out of first gear it seems ok so I don't think
related to clutch wear...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old July 9th 05, 05:37 AM
Bob

Hi,

Could just be the throttle body intake boot (the rubber
accordian-ribbed one between the TB and the plastic duct). If you get a
split inside the "ribs", it'll buck like a bronco starting out in 1st.
Crank it up, and gently pull at each rib since the cracks tend to not be
visible just looking at it. The engine will surge due to the sudden
blast of extra air (computer keeps trying to compensate for it). One of
my 86 Golfs did that a few years ago. Only did it starting from a stop
because the engine torque was enough to separate the hair line crack in
it. Bought one from the dealer cheap. Hope this helps.

Bob (in ABQ)

Old July 16th 05, 01:18 PM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Chicago Paddling-Fishing > wrote:
: Hi;

: Have a 86 GTI that has suddenly started misbehaving in first gear...
: surging/stalling.

: This started after my son decided to give someone lessons in how to drive
: stick on the car (without asking/telling me)

: It's very annoying... once out of first gear it seems ok so I don't think
: related to clutch wear...

It's gotten worse, much worse... now it's first and second gear, almost
impossible to get the car moving... it's almost like the car is dropping
into gear... I'm thinking either trans link alignment or clutch :-(

Its as if you put the car in first, then drop the clutch...the surge/stall
effect...

Old July 16th 05, 08:56 PM
Harry

The material symtom is: does the engine spin or surge with the clutch all
the way out, or in other words, does the engine go to a higher RPM with no
acceleration, movement with the clutch all the way out. If this is true, the
student driver ruined your clutch

Harry

Old July 19th 05, 09:24 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Harry > wrote:
: The material symtom is: does the engine spin or surge with the clutch all
: the way out, or in other words, does the engine go to a higher RPM with no
: acceleration, movement with the clutch all the way out. If this is true, the
: student driver ruined your clutch

: Harry

No... the first reply was right... I tried a duct tape and saran wrap test
but that didn't help so I took it into the shop and they said the front
motor mount had gone bad and was causing the motor to lift too high.

Not sure if we could have avoided the motor mount if my son had said something
sooner... from now on, I think I'm going to have to drive that car at least
once a week, just to check on it, since he insisted that it had always driven
like that...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
http://www.chicagopaddling.org http://www.chicagofishing.org
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)

removing gear box Sven Agardh VW water cooled 1 January 17th 05 11:48 AM
Buzzing at startup/ring gear SmarSquid Honda 1 January 16th 05 02:46 AM
auto trans won't downshift to 1st gear on 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC KI0FT Ford Explorer 3 December 23rd 04 01:02 AM
Speedo gear problem Jeff Scherb Jeep 2 December 19th 04 11:57 AM
No reverse gear on 2000 Saturn SL2 A/T 2000SaturnSL2 Saturn 6 October 6th 04 06:18 PM