Should BAC limits be left up to the individual driver?

Old January 11th 05, 10:04 PM
Brent P

In article >, C.H. wrote:
> Increasing your own risks of being killed is completely acceptable. In
> traffic you not only increase your risk of being killed but the risks of
> others, and that is completely unacceptable.

Yet as a society we let people who normally drive as poorly as a drunk do so
everyday.

Old January 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 07:54:02 GMT, "C.H." >
wrote:

>> MADD and other orgs achieved their goals and are now pushing for a new
>> prohibition to continue their existance IMO.

>I like a beer or a glass of wine now and then, I just don't drive
>afterwards until the effect of the alcohol has completely worn off (both
>impairment and BAC wise). If someone is unable to make sure they don't
>drink if you have to drive afterwards, they are an alcoholic.

Heh - that's what the substance abuse "treatment" industrial complex
wants everyone to think - more money for them.
Old January 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Olaf Gustafson

Old January 11th 05, 11:41 PM
ParrotRob

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I agree. Granted that this requires judgment on the part of the police
> officer, most cop cars these days have video cameras, & I've seen them
> show a jury just how badly the guy was driving before the officer made
> the decision to pull him over. That's how it should be done.
>
> So you think DUI should be allowed unless the cop can prove the driver
> is impaired.

Of course not, but you just proved our point. It's NOT "DUI" if the driver
is NOT impaired, now is it? So you can't very well have a driver that is
not impaired guilty of DUI, now can you?

Is that way too much logic for you?

Old January 11th 05, 11:41 PM
ParrotRob

Old January 11th 05, 11:43 PM
ParrotRob

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I can't believe I'm responding to you, but absolutely yes! Drivers
> should
> be judged on how much they are impaired, rather than an arbitrary
> numerical
> value. I guarantee you there are millions of people who are much more
> impaired at, say, .04% BAC than am I at the legal .08%.
>
> HAHAHA. Another one of these deadly DUIs who says "It's ok for me to do
> it cause i actually drive better when i'm drunk." How many people have
> you killed, psychopath.

Either exactly as many as you have or less than you have. By the way, where
exactly did I say it was OK for me to drive when I'm drunk? I believe I
simply said I'm less impaired, now didn't I?

Old January 11th 05, 11:43 PM
ParrotRob

Old January 12th 05, 12:54 AM

C.H. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:27:25 -0800, gcmschemist wrote:
>
> > x-posting trimmed...
> >
> > C.H. wrote:
> >> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:48:49 -0500, Max wrote:
> >>
> >> Where did you get that number from? About every study about

alcohol
> >> and driving I read mentioned that non-alcoholic drivers already

are
> >> affected from .03%.

> > Do you have any links to substantiate this claim?

> Example:
>
> http://www.psy-online.de/mpu/wirkung.htm
>
> Guaranteed not MADD influenced.

This site is obviously not a scientific research paper. Is a
cartoonish MADD-alike.

Maybe there is real, scientific research to back up the claims, but it
certainly isn't in evidence on that particular page.

..16

know

> >> Nonsense. Read the papers. Most of the drunk drivers who get

checked
> >> after a crash are somewhere between .05% and 0.1%

> > What papers? Newspapers? I would prefer to get real, hard data.

> Newspapers usually print what is in the police report and you can be

sure
> the police report errs on the high side (revenue increase).

No matter what is published in newspapers, it is not controlled,
scientific data. Anecdotal, yes. Rigorous research, no.

> >> Most non-alcoholics are not
> >> even able to walk to their car beyond 1.5%.

> > I should think not. 0.50% BAC would put most all humans in an

alcohol
> > coma, at the very least. 1.5% would be very difficult to achieve,
> > outside of some embalming process.

> Sorry, I meant .15%. In Germany BAC is measured in Promille (tenth of

> percent), so 1.5 Promille = .15%.

0.15% is not beyond the realm of functional for plenty of people, even
non-alcoholics. Due to liver damage, alcoholics often have a
*decreased* tolerance for alcohol. Being able to walk, talk, play
darts or some other physical activity does not in any way imply ability
to safely operate a motor vehicle.

BAC, in and of itself, is not an accurate indicator of intoxication. A
45kg woman at 0.03% and a 90kg man at 0.03% are not equally impaired.
There have been some Swedish studies to suggest that people who are
hung over (0.00% BAC) can be less fit to drive than someone over the
legal BAC. The same goes for sleepy drivers.

HAND,

E.P.