Radio help please?

Old March 30th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Radio help please?

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee that has the AM/FM single CD player.

When I turn on the radio it says, "Paused". I hit eject and it goes
through the motions but no CD comes out, the "Paused" light goes out
and stays out until next time I turn the radio off and back on.

I can't insert a CD, either it has one in there or it thinks it does.

The AM/FM works fine so......

Junk the radio? Try and get it fixed? I think I can get a stock
replacement on Ebay maybe..

Old March 31st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

See if you can reach in there with something like a surgical clamp
(Roach Clip) and grab it, I found my grandkids or someone was able to
jam another CD in one of my players.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 31st 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

XS11E did pass the time by typing:
> Hi, I'm new here.
>
> I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee that has the AM/FM single CD player.
>
> When I turn on the radio it says, "Paused". I hit eject and it goes
> through the motions but no CD comes out, the "Paused" light goes out
> and stays out until next time I turn the radio off and back on.
>
> I can't insert a CD, either it has one in there or it thinks it does.
>
> The AM/FM works fine so......
>
> Junk the radio? Try and get it fixed? I think I can get a stock
> replacement on Ebay maybe..

You have two cds stuck in there or one with a paper lable that peeled off.

Dissection is the only way to get it out.

I pulled my radio about one month after the ZJ was delivered and
installed a custom unit. It's only a cassette unit.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/radio-face-lr.jpg

--
DougW

Old March 31st 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in
:

> See if you can reach in there with something like a surgical
> clamp (Roach Clip) and grab it, I found my grandkids or someone
> was able to jam another CD in one of my players.

My thought too, but there's nothing jammed in there.

Old March 31st 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote in

> You have two cds stuck in there or one with a paper lable that
> peeled off.

I thought of that but there's nothing stuck in there that I can find
so.. disection may be the only way but how does one get the darn thing
apart? I can remove the radio and front panel but I haven't figured
out how to get the CD player exposed.

Old March 31st 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

XS11E did pass the time by typing:
> "DougW" wrote:
>
>> You have two cds stuck in there or one with a paper lable that
>> peeled off.

> I thought of that but there's nothing stuck in there that I can find
> so.. disection may be the only way but how does one get the darn thing
> apart? I can remove the radio and front panel but I haven't figured
> out how to get the CD player exposed.

On mine the top and bottom are just held on like big clips.
Once the face is off they just pop off. Been years since I
actually looked at it.

you can rule out antitheft since that year didn't have it.
There isn't an "ERR" on the face so that rules out most basic
problems.

What's left is
- sticky buttons or sticking switches.
- crudded up laser rack/screw
(the read laser runs back and forth on a track and if that
gets gummed up with dirt it can cause the head to stop moving)

My service book has doodah for diagnostics, apart from checking the
fuses.

If you were in the neighborhood I'd take a look at it, but it's a bit
of a drive to Oklahoma from Atlanta (going by your IP)

Those stupid radios are expensive. So much so that it's cheaper to
get a single DIN (your radio is DIN and 1/2) and an adapter. That way
you could eventually get XM or an iPod interface/etc.

If you use contact cleaner to clean out the guts make sure it is marked
as safe for plastics and don't get any on the clear faceplate or laser.
machine oil is ok, but most is either dry or lithium grease.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old March 31st 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There are a number of places that repair factory radios. Google "factory
radio repair"
Several offer free diagnosis and estimates.

Old March 31st 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Radio Shack has always come in at their deposit of thirty five
bucks, for me.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 31st 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"billy ray" > wrote in
:

> There are a number of places that repair factory radios. Google
> "factory radio repair"
> Several offer free diagnosis and estimates.

I let my fingers do the walking, the yellow pages show several local,
I'll do some calling tomorrow but I expect them to be fairly
expensive...

I'll let you know what I find.

Old March 31st 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote in

> XS11E did pass the time by typing:
>> I thought of that but there's nothing stuck in there that I can
>> find so.. disection may be the only way but how does one get the
>> darn thing apart? I can remove the radio and front panel but I
>> haven't figured out how to get the CD player exposed.

> On mine the top and bottom are just held on like big clips.
> Once the face is off they just pop off. Been years since I
> actually looked at it.

I'll look again tomorrow, I plan on pulling it back out when I have
more time. I won't need the Jeep again until Monday so when I get
home, around 1pm or so, I'll have tomorrow afternoon, Saturday and
Sunday to check it out.

> If you were in the neighborhood I'd take a look at it, but it's a
> bit of a drive to Oklahoma from Atlanta (going by your IP)

???? Even farther, I'm in Phoenix, AZ.