Wiring for Winch

Old January 25th 04, 07:14 AM
Scott C.

Default Wiring for Winch

I am installing a Warn 8274 winch and need some help with what size of
wires to use going to the Battery. My instincts say use 2 ga. Is
this right?
Also, is it important to run the ground directly to the Battery
terminal instead of grounding it via the engine block or frame?
By the way, how does this winch consume 400+ amps when my battery and
alternator combined don't come close to that? Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old January 25th 04, 03:06 PM
Mike Romain

It needs direct to the battery cables.

If you load that winch up to stall, you can/will melt your battery and
alternator if they are not big enough to take the load.

I had the stock warn cables smoking bad enough to melt the heat shrink
off the ends when I stalled my 9000 once.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 25th 04, 03:06 PM
Mike Romain

Old January 25th 04, 04:18 PM
Matt Mead

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:06:28 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>If you load that winch up to stall, you can/will melt your battery and
>alternator if they are not big enough to take the load.

Yeah, years ago on a 72 Bronco I had the charge wire off the
alternator completely melt due to a heavy drain from my 8274. After
upgrading the wire size I never had another issue. (Best winch I've
ever seen!)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Old January 25th 04, 04:18 PM
Matt Mead

Old January 25th 04, 04:20 PM
Roger Brown

Mike Romain wrote:

> It needs direct to the battery cables.
>
> If you load that winch up to stall, you can/will melt your battery and
> alternator if they are not big enough to take the load.
>
> I had the stock warn cables smoking bad enough to melt the heat shrink
> off the ends when I stalled my 9000 once.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> "Scott C." wrote:
> >
> > I am installing a Warn 8274 winch and need some help with what size of
> > wires to use going to the Battery. My instincts say use 2 ga. Is
> > this right?
> > Also, is it important to run the ground directly to the Battery
> > terminal instead of grounding it via the engine block or frame?
> > By the way, how does this winch consume 400+ amps when my battery and
> > alternator combined don't come close to that? Thanks in advance.

I uses 1/0 welding cable for mine:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...atteries.shtml

The Warn winch (XD9000) came with 2 or 4 ga. wire attached to it as I recall. I cut that short and terminated it in a 350A quick disconnect and 1/0 from there back to the battery. And I ran both power and ground wires directly to the battery. If you
don't run a ground, you can run into problems with ground loops and voltage drops if the ground connections and paths are not solid.

While your alternator is only good for 100A or so, the battery can put out many 100s of amps, look at the cold cranking amps, many batteries are rated 800-1000 cranking amps, that's where the current in excess of what your alternator puts out comes from.

--
Roger
Old January 25th 04, 04:20 PM
Roger Brown

Old January 25th 04, 09:26 PM
rnf2

"Roger Brown" > wrote in message
> Mike Romain wrote:
> >
> > It needs direct to the battery cables.
> >
> > If you load that winch up to stall, you can/will melt your battery and
> > alternator if they are not big enough to take the load.
> >
> > I had the stock warn cables smoking bad enough to melt the heat shrink
> > off the ends when I stalled my 9000 once.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >
> > "Scott C." wrote:
> > >
> > > I am installing a Warn 8274 winch and need some help with what size of
> > > wires to use going to the Battery. My instincts say use 2 ga. Is
> > > this right?
> > > Also, is it important to run the ground directly to the Battery
> > > terminal instead of grounding it via the engine block or frame?
> > > By the way, how does this winch consume 400+ amps when my battery and
> > > alternator combined don't come close to that? Thanks in advance.

> I uses 1/0 welding cable for mine:
> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...atteries.shtml
>
> The Warn winch (XD9000) came with 2 or 4 ga. wire attached to it as I

recall. I cut that short and terminated it in a 350A quick disconnect and
1/0 from there back to the battery. And I ran both power and ground wires
directly to the battery. If you
> don't run a ground, you can run into problems with ground loops and

voltage drops if the ground connections and paths are not solid.

> While your alternator is only good for 100A or so, the battery can put out

many 100s of amps, look at the cold cranking amps, many batteries are rated
800-1000 cranking amps, that's where the current in excess of what your
alternator puts out comes from.

if you have a small alternator you'll have to run the engine for a while
longer to charge the battery than you ran the winch for. a warn 9000 can
flatten a 750 CCA battery pulling a heavy loaded Disco out of axle deep mud
using a double pulley block. so make sure you keep the motor running so you
don't need to start the motor and find no current left.

rhys

Old January 25th 04, 09:26 PM
rnf2

Old April 3rd 04, 03:01 AM
Thom

If you guys are melting alternator output leads, find an electrician! ALL
domestic applications I have worked on are PROTECTED by a FUSE or similar
device.If the fuse is of proper rating, you have no worry.
A similar problem that sometimes occurs is the solenoids for the winch
"weld" in the closed position,which means things keep running after you let
go of button. I bought a aircraft circuit breaker surplus, so I get
protection from shorts, and an emergency shut-off.

om...