TJ front control arms

Old July 1st 05, 10:59 PM
jbratton

Default TJ front control arms

I have a problem with handling.. when I hit a bump, the '00 TJ lurches to
the left, then right. Had alignment done and they said the castor was off
per factory spec.... so I have 2 questions:

1. Given that I have a 3 inch lift... should the factory castor spec still
apply to my rig?
2. Could this be causing the above symptom?

Next..
Assuming the castor is really off for my rig I think I have 2 possible
choices... but only one that is available
1. Get a pair of cam bolts for the front lower control arms to adjust
castor ---BUT THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE !--------
2. Get a pair of adjustable front control arms (from teraflex )about $244.

Pls. help a poor drive-line dum-dum

Regards - Jim

Old July 1st 05, 11:36 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jim,
The bump steer is caused by the drag link and track bar not being
parallel to each other, drop the frame bracket to achieve this:
http://www.billhughes.com/TJalign.htm Or it's bushing may be worn out.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 1st 05, 11:50 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Did you replace the pitman arm with a dropped replacement? If so, put the
stock one back on. As Bill said, the drag link and track bar should be
parallel, and a drop pitman will cause the DL and TB to un-parallel.

om...

Old July 2nd 05, 12:11 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Matt,
I think you're right, he must have changed to a dropped pitman arm,
as they look pretty parallel stock. All though they get carried away
with track bar kits:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/instru...7000&7010D.pdf
But then you'd have to lift the knuckle drag link connection:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/module...article&sid=91
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 2nd 05, 02:54 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Not necessary with a 3" lift, but he would need a front end alignment to
correct the exaggerated toe-in.

Old July 2nd 05, 03:35 PM
jbratton

Thanks, and correct, the 3" TeraFlex System included a drop steering arm
(which looks dog-leg shaped, not straight).
I'll have to check if my mechanic still has the OE one and put it back on.
Maybe hes got one or I'd have to buy an OE one. If we're going to go in
there and mess with the steering again maybe its a good excuse to upgrade
some of the other parts around there so I'd have something to show for all
the work beyond fixing my self-imposed problem... (maint. is pre-approved by
the wife) -Jim

Old July 6th 05, 02:02 PM
Jeep

did you upgrade the shimmy shock...it will help!
Jeff
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ

om...

Old July 7th 05, 05:45 AM

Jim,
Your Tera 3" system S3T should have come with adjustable lower control
arms. I have been running this system for over 5 years. The pitman arm
and steering stabilizer are unlikely to be the source of your problem.
This is most likely to be the ball joint where your front track bar
connects to the frame. I had identical symptoms and found a loose track
bar.
Regards,

Guri Sandhu
98TJ

OBD II Error message Billy Ray Jeep 13 July 2nd 05 04:01 AM
MAC upper/lower control arms bradtx Ford Mustang 1 May 16th 05 04:18 PM
how did Dilbert learn in front of all the kettles? We can't nibble plates unless Alexis will daily recollect afterwards [email protected] Technology 0 January 15th 05 01:56 PM
4.5 bolt front hubs/rear axles to 5.5 bolt front hubs/rear axles? zion_curtain Ford Explorer 1 January 4th 05 06:57 AM
Looking for directions to service front hubs (1994 4x4) Chris Ford Explorer 1 November 3rd 04 04:49 PM