Toyota's massive recall woes halt production, ding top quality rep

Old January 27th 10, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Default Toyota's massive recall woes halt production, ding top quality rep

Old news, Toyota is killing folks TODAY with their so called superior cars
and SUVs

"ben91932" > wrote in message
On Jan 27, 9:18 am, "Mike Hunter" <Mikehunt2@lycos,com> wrote:
> What manufacturer ever refused to fix vehicles with a safety issue?

GM: Rolling Corvairs and full size cars that broke motor mounts and
locked the steering.
Several hundred dead.
Ford: Exploding mustang gas tanks in the '60's which Ford knew about
and remedied by making the Pinto.
Several hundred more dead.
These issues were known by the car makers before the cars were sold.
Their accountants calculated that the loss of life, lawsuits etc would
cost less overall than the $15 to $17 a car it would have cost them to
make them safe.
Ben

Old January 27th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Toyota's massive recall woes halt production, ding topquality...

> wrote in message
> Toyota's auto business/industry is building and selling cars and
> trucks.Toyota will get it all sorted out, sooner or later.No cars and
> trucks are perfect.
> cuhulin

True...If there is a will to do the right thing, it will be solved. I heard
today
that there are 4 deaths suspected to be caused by this problem.. I have no
doubt that, even though this is a relatively small number compared with the
millions of cars that have been sold, Toyota WILL find the problem and
correct it.

I have two newish Toyotas, one three years old and the other about
6 months old. Both have been absolutely flawless in every respect.

I will give them a fair chance to do the right thing.

Old January 27th 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Tom[_33_]

"Sir F. A. Rien" > wrote in message
> "Tom" Tom the piper's son > found these unused words:
>
>>"Mike Hunter" <Mikehunt2@lycos,com> wrote in message
>>> What manufacturer ever refused to fix vehicles with a safety issue?

>> All Hail Toyota I will stick behind them to the end, or at least until
>> they
>> finish raping America while
>> closing their markets. fixing the price of their yen, Just remember
>> these people do not like us only our money
>> and the protection we provide. name something they have done for us.

> Guess you missed the information that they make the cars in the US and
> supply US workers with a living?
>
> That's as against Flipping Ford who assembles in MEXICO with foreign made
> parts.
>
> Remember to salute [right arm extended] when you look at a Chrysler
> product.

Toyota has only known about this problem since2007

Toyota first identified problems with the accelerator pedals on its Tundra
pickup in March 2007. After months of testing, the company determined that
the problem was caused by the material in the accelerators' friction lever
and made a change.

At that time, Toyota considered it to be a drivability issue unrelated to
safety, according to its filing with the U.S. National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration. A similar issue then arose in Europe in December 2008
in the right-hand-drive versions of two small Toyota cars, the Aygo and
Yaris.

The company's investigation found that condensation from heaters caused
increased friction in the gas pedal, making it stick in some cases. Toyota
lengthened the arm of the friction lever and changed its materials on all
vehicles produced in Europe using the subject accelerator pedals starting in
mid-August 2009.

Beginning in October last year, Toyota became aware of sticking accelerator
pedals in the U.S. and Canada. The company realized that the material used
in

Old January 27th 10, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
dr_jeff

Mike Hunter wrote:
> Old news, one can no longer buys those old cars, You can however still buy
> one of the many runaway Toyotas models.

only used

Old January 28th 10, 12:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Mike Hunter[_2_]

You are correct, I keep forgetting most of the buyers in this NG are used
car buyers.

Old January 28th 10, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Is that different than Toyota importing most of the materials, as well as
most of the models it sells in the US?

Old January 28th 10, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
Mike Hunter[_2_]

How does that account for the fact vehicles with the fly by wire system also
have the runaway problem, according to A.N.?

Old January 28th 10, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
dr_jeff

Mike Hunter wrote:
> You are correct, I keep forgetting most of the buyers in this NG are used
> car buyers.

Something wrong with buying used cars?

Old January 28th 10, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
dr_jeff

Mike Hunter wrote:
> Is that different than Toyota importing most of the materials, as well as
> most of the models it sells in the US?

Yet it builds most of the cars it sells in North America. And most of
the parts in the those cars come from the US, too.

Jeff

Old January 28th 10, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.trucks
dsi1[_2_]

On 1/27/2010 12:48 PM, Tom wrote:
> Toyota has only known about this problem since2007
>>

> Toyota first identified problems with the accelerator pedals on its
> Tundra pickup in March 2007. After months of testing, the company
> determined that the problem was caused by the material in the
> accelerators' friction lever and made a change.

What's a "friction lever?" It's interesting that this problem appears in
wire and drive-by-wire systems. This probably means that the problem is
not with the drive-by-wire. If this happens in cars without the problem
floor mats, it probably means the floor mats are not the problem either.
The investigators should check out the components common to Toyotas with
with a history of this problem. That should narrow it down.

In cases of runaway acceleration, I tend to believe it's driver's error.
This however, appears to be something different.